Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

La Flywheel Removal

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1888 times

Old 01-31-2005, 10:41:00 PM
Registered-III

Default La Flywheel Removal

I have a very stubborn flywheel. I can only get it to move about 1/4", It will not come off any farther. I have tried about every thing I can think of but it still has not helped. So my next idea is to heat the hub up red hot or close to it, but I am wondering if this will hurt the crank shaft?? Or does anybody have any other ideas. I have removed a few other la/lb flywheels before and not had any problems.

Thanks Justin
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 03:05:24 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: La Flywheel Removal

take the retaining clamp bolt out and drive a slow-taper chisel to spread the flywheel LIGHTLY.that should loosen the flywheelwith a dose of GIBB'S or thin oil. cold in central Texas Joe
Old 02-01-2005, 09:49:46 AM
Registered-III

I already tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Justin
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19:23 AM
Subscriber

The heat wont hurt the crankshaft but could crack your flywheel. Make sure the end of the crank is not mushroomed over.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01:23 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Justin, If you've moved it a quarter inch, it's as good as off! It's gotta come.
I would take some emery cloth and do a lot of polishing of the shaft. There must be a burr somewhere holding it. Maybe on the edge of keyway or somewhere. I would not try to heat the flywheel red hot, but it wouldn't hurt to just warm it up good. Of course, you have to work fast, because soon the crank will warm up too, and then you've lost your advantage.
I think the best bet would be to lock up the crank somehow and work the wheel off by twisting it back and forth while using a lot of PBBlaster or your favorite. The twisting motion will do a lot of good for you. That shaft has got to have a ding or something in it. When you polish it, you will begin to see where it is. When the shaft gets dented even a little bit, it displaces metal around the dent that must be filed down. Let us know how you do. Kevin