Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

wearing properties of metal

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1512 times

Old 01-31-2005, 11:34:25 PM
Sky

Lightbulb wearing properties of metal

i was wondering, what is the wareing property(i guess thats how you would say it) for Brass, Bronz, and just plain steel, maybee a hard wood such as maple?..but wood is not a metal.

what im trying to do is make a oversize points plunger for my Y model briggs & Stratton, the points plunger hole in the mag plate is wore(conveiniently) just enough were it will let oil bypass the plunger
it's not suppose to do that, so heres my situation, if i find a bronz or brass or steel rod of some sort, just the right size, i can make an over sized, metallic plunger, perferably of bronz, then every thing would be just fine again, i cant find the bushing you are really appose to use to make the plunger right again(NLA) (no longer available) so i have to make do with what inventions i do have, Hay, poor boy's have poor way's, but sometimes it works, and good! so my question is, if you were in my situation, what metal would YOU use? the points have some pressure to them, i think like 16 .OZ according to the book, so i have to take that into consideration as well, pressures and ware.

Any advise out there!?

Thank Ya!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 12:14:00 AM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: wearing properties of metal

What about using Micarta it wears better than bronze or brass ? Mcmaster Carr has it in rounds of many sizes. Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:25:15 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: wearing properties of metal

wood swells, might not be a good idea...

Mac Leod
Old 02-01-2005, 02:42:47 AM
Registered-II

Hows about teflon or nylon? Rod should be easy to get. cold in central Texas joe
Old 02-01-2005, 12:06:51 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I think you could buy a hard bolt at ACE HDWE and turn it down a bit. Even brass should last many, many hours and you're only running it occasionally right? Kevin
Old 02-01-2005, 03:23:22 PM
CJ Winslow

I have used the shank of a drill bit. You can get drill bits in most any size (give or take a couple thousandths). When I did it I cut it with a die grinder. You can also buy "Drill rod" through MSC or other suppliers that can be heated and hardened easilly. I think that MSC has it in increments of .001 which should be more than sufficent for you.

CJ
Old 02-02-2005, 10:41:03 PM
Registered-II

To make the plunger bushing, I recommend 360 brass. It is the freest cutting, most machinable, and it is forgiving on tools and reams. For a plastic bushing, use Acetron GP. It is extremely machinable and is self lubricating. It also will not swell or crack like nylon. Nylon is for doggie chew toys and beating lawyers.

To make the plunger, I recommend W1 steel. It can be had in just about any diameter. It is easy to work and when you get the job done, it can be heat treated with a propane torch and a can of water. Just remember to give an ever so slight spherical radius on each end. Those plungers are not flat on the end. W1 also likes to be finished with a piece of oil soaked crocus cloth at high speed. It will look like chrome and wear like glass if hardened to a full purple.

Best of luck and remember to have fun.