Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Le Roi Motor

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2147 times

Old 02-02-2005, 01:32:59 AM
NJTrackMan

Default Le Roi Motor

I have what i think is a early Le Roi motor. I dragged it off of a relatives farm a couple of years ago. It resembles an upright motor like a novo, but it has a square cooling tank. I would say its about 3 and a half foot tall. Its on a skid, and it has a flywheel on one side, and a reduction gear on the other with a clutch. It has a fairbanks morse mag on it, and i think it must have some kind of 2 spark plug set up. I dont think its a 2cyl. Does anyone know about these motors? Thank you for your response.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 08:08:33 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Le Roi Motor

Hi NJTrackMan,

Here are a few pictures of a LeRoi I picked up. Does yours look like this?

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/leroi/leroi.html

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47:29 AM
Registered-II

The only thing I know about them is.
(Le Roi) = (The King)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:35:01 AM
Registered-II

Sounds to me like you have a model MH-2 Le Roi, which is a two cylinder engine. I do not have much information on Le Roi's - Wendel's book has only a small paragraph, but does not have the hopper cooled version pictured only the radiator version. My Le Roi is equipped with a Bosch magneto. It only needed new exhaust valves and a new head gasket to have it running well (you can get the gaskets at Olsen's Gaskets). As far as paint color goes, the best I can tell is most Le Roi's were a medium gray similar to that of the 9N Fords. That's about all I know. Let me know if can help out anymore. Make sure your plug wires are hooked up to the correct plug otherwise she won't run.

Bruce in PA
Old 02-02-2005, 09:57:47 AM
Registered-II

My LeRoi is the same as in Luke's fine pictures.At a highly attended engine auction of a deceased 86 yr old collector's stuff,I outbid the scrap dealer for it.I didn't even want it but could not allow the scrapper to throw it on his pile.I had not even looked it over since I had little interest and when I returned the next day with my trailer to collect it I was not as prepared as I thought to bring it home! It was in an engine outbuilding with no facilities.Since it is the right height and hopper shape the guy had been using it as a emergency urinal ! I now didn't want it on my trailer never mind in my barn.It took rubber gloves ,a quart of clorox and two weeks of soaking before my tools would agree to touch it. After I've had it a while now I think it is semi attractive to look at.I have talked to folks that say they are sweet runners but I haven't heard it run cause I can't get a good seal with the head gasket.It is made in a way that doesn't lend itself to anything but a new gasket and I cannot find one.Anybody have any ideas where one can be found? It is not as easy as I thought to turn a big stinker into a little sweetie pie. Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 01:49:24 PM
Registered-II

Mike Olsen's Gaskets will have the head gasket you need. Here is their number: 360-871-1207 (they are located in Port Orchard, WA). And by the way the wait on getting my engine was worth it, they are sweet runners.

Bruce in PA
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18:19 PM
NJTrackMan

yes the motor looks exactly like the mh3 le roi. Except it has a clutch and a reduction gear.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:42:10 PM
Registered-II

Bruce, Thank you for the address of Olsen's Gaskets.I will get right on it.Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 06:14:49 PM
Registered-III

NJTrackMan -

LeRoi was purchased by Waukesha in the 50s, and at that time, Waukesha destroyed all of the LeRoi records, so information for those engines is very hard to come by. LeRoi stopped production of hopper cooled engines in 1929. I have several, and they're great running engines...oddballs too, which is why I like them. There's a guy on Ebay that sells reprints of several LeRoi manuals for about $7. If you're interested in keeping the engine, a manual would be invaluable. If you're looking to sell it, drop me a line...I'm always looking to add another Le Roi .

Chris