Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Manifold Repair

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 5859 times

Old 02-02-2005, 12:12:55 PM
Registered-I

Wink Manifold Repair

I've a hole about the size of a shirt button on an old tractor manifold, on the exhaust side.Any hints on a good repair (epoxy? Marine tex? Eikumpuckey?)Thanks Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 01:15:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts
Default Re: Manifold Repair

Mig weld it with mild steel wire and C02 gas...I repair automotive exhaust manifolds regularly with this method. It is a permanent fix! Ain't gotta worry about the hole blowing back out again.

David M.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:25:16 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

David is correct. I've seen it done several times. Works great. Looks great. Kevin
Old 02-03-2005, 08:11:12 PM
Registered-II

would that work for one that is cracked in half?

i have an exhaust manifold that snapped at the base...the tube broke right off the base.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39:02 PM
Subscriber

A cheap quick fix is to drill it out with the next drill size that makes the hole round, and slightly taper a piece of brass, then tap it carefully into the hole.
You can always go back and weld it up later. I have done this on a 1931 ford model A exhaust manifold. Made the repair without pulling the manifold. It's still holding after 8 years.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46:55 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Abby
would that work for one that is cracked in half?

i have an exhaust manifold that snapped at the base...the tube broke right off the base.
Yes, It works on manifolds broken in pieces...I welded an exhaust manifold on my Kohler generator that was broken in half...I bolted it back on the engine to make sure all of the holes lined up correctly, then "Veed" out the crack and tacked it in place. After that, I pulled it off and filled in the blanks and bolted it back on...I have also done this with various other automotive manifolds, and none of them have failed so far.

David M.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:54:02 PM
Registered-III

This is a side step to the original question. First could you weld the manifold with flux core MIG? since thats all I have. should you preheat at all? I know I should have invested in a better unit, with gas but I didn't. However it has saved my butt a number of times, even if its an "ugly" welding system.

Second, if this method works for manifolds, then I should be able to use it on a cracked water hopper??? I have one to fix as we speak, I was going to start and vee it out this weekend as the temp outside is going to go above freezing. We have had a steady cold month of jan in ontario, with temperatures below zero F every night. To cold to work outside.
thanks
Dave from Omemee
Old 02-04-2005, 03:42:29 PM
Subscriber

I Really can't answer your question about flux core wire...I have never tried it...I have only used CO2 gas while welding cast...Best thing to do is find an old scrap manifold and see what it does...I would practice a good bit on some scrap before I tried the water hopper..But YES! I have welded plenty of hoppers before, with very good success.
Been sorta cool down here in South Mississippi. But mostly WET!.. rain , rain & more rain...I guess at least I don't have to shovel it.

David M.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:10:48 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

It sounds like David has more welding experience than I do. But from what I have seen, Your flux cored process might work, though probably not as well. The reason I say so is that guys stick weld cast, so that shouldn't be much different from MIG & flux should it? Of course there may be more to it than that also. I have used a spray welding torch to build up and even repair broken castings. Looks great, but takes a long time to build up. Has the correct "Cast" texture when you're done though.
I have recently used my Henrob/Cobra torch for some cast welding and really like it. It is supposed to burn up all excess oxygen to eliminate the porosity that is so common. The weld is almost as smooth as bondo.
And I would say affirmative on the preheating.
Kevin
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50:50 AM
Registered-III

Yes Dave...Thats what I use...Gasless wire...flux cored mild wire...works great...just V it out good...never had anything rebreak either..But like David M said...you have to be careful of warping..need to bolt comletely broken parts to engine and tack...so you dont distort them...
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09:24 PM
Registered-III

Flux core will work as good as MIG. Flux core will penetrate deeper than MIG. Our field crews use this type wire (NR232 ect.) as they can not use a gas shield in the field (wind blows gas shild away).

MIG is a little easier to run and a little cleaner (less dingle berries). We weld all our light items like railings etc.

Dual shield (like Lincoln 71M) uses both gas and a flux core wire and is the best of both worlds. This is what we run in the shop for every thing over 3/16” thick (almost everything).

DB
Old 02-07-2005, 06:46:06 PM
Subscriber

The biggest reason I never use flux core is because paint will not stick on top of the flux...That's a disaster in a body shop! I use the gas and the weld is very clean and paintable without a lot of prep work...Other than that, I don't see why flux wire wouldn't be just as good...Does the same thing as gas shielding. Doesn't it?

David M.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

This thread just brought up a question. Can you use gas with flux wire? I've got a Century MIG welder. After I bought it I found that I couldnt get a gas kit for so I've been using flux wire and getting the typical smoke and scale.

I found out that this particular welder uses an "import" gas connection that is not compatible with gas any kits I can get. I'm thinking of modifying the welder so I can use one of the kits that's available.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper kit or where I can get the fitting for the welder that will match up with the American hose.

I'd like to use gas but would also like to use up my flux wire.

Comments?

Take care - Elden