Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Anyone used the Henrob/Cobra torch?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4397 times

Old 02-06-2005, 11:25:23 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Anyone used the Henrob/Cobra torch?

I saw it demo-d at the Waukee Swap Meet and finally bought one. It looks like more of a pistol grip style torch than the conventional ones. It is supposed to mix the oxygen and acetylene differently to burn out all the excess oxygen so it doesn't cause bubbles in your cast weld. It is different also in that it used 4 pounds each of Oxygen and Acetylene. It will cut a very fine line almost like a plasma cutter. It seems to be all they say it is. Of course a little technique is involved also. My wife asked me if it would do all they said it would. I said, "Yes, but the question is how much practice until I can make it do it?" Sort of like a Porsche automobile. The performance is engineered into the car, but not every driver could immediately get it out. So far I seem to really like it, and was wondering if anyone had any comments on them? Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2005, 12:18:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Default Re: Anyone used the Henrob/Cobra torch?

Kevin: I have one and use it infriquently, and then,mostly on small items where I need the concetrated heat in a small area, the big torch is just to much even throttled back. It's a nice handy size. Do I like it, sure do
Old 02-07-2005, 09:31:07 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Anyone used the Henrob/Cobra torch?

Kevin, I have been using mine for 10 yrs+ and like it a lot for small stuff. You do have to clean the tips frequently( esp the two smallest sizes) I use it about 40% of the time and then use the regular torch about 60%. It's a little bothersome to have to keep readjusting the pressure to 4 lbs. , especially with my old regulators. You need a steady hand for cutting too. Any little wiggle makes a ragged (but clean) cut. You will like it.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:59:24 PM
Registered-III

Arrow Re: Anyone used the Henrob/Cobra torch?

Would not trade mine for A farm in Texas, if I couldn't buy another one. Great Tool