Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

How many rings are needed?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1295 times

Old 02-06-2005, 08:43:23 PM
Subscriber

Question How many rings are needed?

I'm working on a Jacobsen 10-acre 4-stroke engine. It had(!) 3 compression rings (at least they were all solid). I managed to break one of them when taking them off . Is it acceptable to put it back together with only 2 rings?

If that's acceptable which grooves should I use? I'm thinking the top two.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: How many rings are needed?

NO. Don't cheap out. Buy a new ring from one of the suppliers in G.E.M., and check the ring end gap in the back of the cylinder before installing it in the top groove. Al Wait
Old 02-06-2005, 09:57:14 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Thumbs up Re: How many rings are needed?

First check with Dave Reed at Otto Engine Works who is one of Harry's Sponsor helping to keep this site available to us on the Web. He is also very helpful advice......Helen

And don't forget to become a subscriber to SmokStak!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:24:10 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I would say that it would probably work OK. And if it doesn't, there isn't a whole lot of labor involved to rectify the situation.
But your best advice came from Helen. Call Dave Reed. He made rings for my 12 Champion and his advice is right on. Your engine is worth the price of a ring or three. Kevin
Old 02-07-2005, 07:14:39 AM
Subscriber

I've contacted Dave and gotten his reply. Because of the size of my rings either the groove will have to be cut deeper (if there's enough metal in the piston) or the inside of the ring will have to be "shaved" neither of which I can do. Since the engine will probably never be run (no mag) I'm looking at the 2-ring option.

Oh, by-the-way, I am a subscriber to Smokstak; great site.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:19:50 PM
Banner Sponsor

Hi Leonard-
Some engines run with only one ring. But the clearances have to be right for it to work. If you use the two rings only use the top 2 grooves providing that the top groove ring lands are not over 5 thou of side clearance. Thinning up a ring radially can easily be done in about ten to fifteen minutes if you are slow. There are several methods depending on your preferences and what is available. You can do it in a lathe if you have the right stuff to hold the ring. This can be as simple as a bucket of patience, a four jaw chuck, a hose clamp and an old ring or piece of scrap to act as a spacer / standoff so that you don't crash into the chuck jaws with your boring bar. Without a lathe you can use a Dremel tool, die grinder, or old electric drill with a dollar "stone on a stick" in the chuck and a piece of wood. Stand the ring up on the wood and grind away. Just be sure to cool the ring so that you never get it too hot to touch. Use a pan of water and a wet rag or paper towel to keep the ring cool so that it doesn't lose its temper. Work your way around the ring to keep the grinding even. Use an old ring as a gauge. As long as you are within ten thousandths of radial thickness difference all around the ring that is close enough. Now if you really want to you can do it with a half round file. The rings are soft cast iron and are really easy to work. If this all is not an option I can set up and bore a ring for you, but I have to warn you that I am currently backed up in the shop with jobs promised to other customers first and I don't feel right jumping ahead of someone already in the line. I can do it but it will not be done fast. We are now in the busy season for rings. Let me know if I can help.
Thank you,
Dave Reed
Otto Gas Engine Works
2167 Blue Ball Road
Elkton MD 21921-3330
phone 410-398-7340 http://www.pistonrings.net
http://www.pistonring.net