Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Drilling Holes in Glass

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2802 times

Old 02-07-2005, 10:14:18 PM
Registered-II

Default Drilling Holes in Glass

My wife needs me to drill some 1/4" holes in a glass dish to make a flower pot. I thought of using a tile drill on my die grinder. Any better ideas? Is glass dust toxic like blasting sand?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: slightly off topic... drilling glass

I use a piece of brass tubing of the right OD, 1/4" to drill a 1/4" hole, & coarse Clover grinding compound diluted with a little oil in my drill press on slow speed. Keep moving up & down with firm pressure & it grinds a nice smooth hole thru any thickness of glass. Just did some new wine glass oiler glasses, over 1/4" thick with a 1/2" hole, took about 30 minutes. Fred Prichard, New Hampshire
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32:32 PM
Registered-III

Lowes or your local hardware store should have a drill for glass. it will look like a spear point on the end. basically you take modeling clay and build a circular dam around the spot you want to drill the hole. keep the clay dam full of water so that the drilling is done under water. this is done to keep the drilling action cool. take you time and use little down force. as the drill breaks (sorry about the wording) through, take care to reduce drilling force to keep the drill from grabbing or shattering the glass. i always say a little prayer before starting, and it seems to work.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:21:34 AM
Card Sponsor

Yes glass dust is toxic. Glass is made of sand heated red hot. You can get silicosis from the dust. My wife does stained glass work , and the grinding dust is brutial on the lungs.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:15:14 AM
Chris Curtis

I drilled many 1/2" holes in glass block this winter with a diamond bit in a Dremel tool. I drilled a hole on a piece of wood and clamped that to the block for a guide then drilled the glass at full speed under water. It drilled fast, clean and easy. Just be careful not to get the tools motor wet.