Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

what is the point of a coil on a sparkplug???

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1909 times

Old 02-08-2005, 11:16:45 PM
Registered-III

Default what is the point of a coil on a sparkplug???

Saw on e bay, wondering why...

4524502726 (Expired Link - New Link Here)

Thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2005, 11:49:00 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: what is the point of a coil on a sparkplug???

Mac, my guess is that thin on Ebay is just an aftermarket "spark intensifier" which is sometimes nothing more than an air gap hidden in a fancy insulator and wrapped up in a real inflated sales pitch. How those work is that the voltage must increase to jump the internal gap, therefore giving you a "hotter" spark. Some other electric guys probably can say it better than me, but I think that's about it. Of course some of the new vehicles do have individual coils on top of each plug I've heard. Why don't you Buy that thing for $75 so you can cut it open and let us in on the mystery? Kevin
Old 02-09-2005, 12:06:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Well.... That thing on top of the spark plug looks a lot like the high voltage capacitor from a early RCA TV with the metal shell picture tube. Later sets used a coating on the outside of the glass picture tube to form a capacitor to achieve the same purpose. Funny what shows up on Ebay...
Old 02-09-2005, 12:11:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,287 Times in 1,434 Posts

I would tend to agree with Kevin that the "coil" is an intensifier attachment. I believe there may have been some very early combined spark plugs and coils, but they were very big and bulky things.

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 12:31:17 AM
Administrator

Thanked 9,007 Times in 1,480 Posts

That appears to be TOTAL B.S. to me and is most likely a "put together" by the seller. It has all the appearance of a "door knob" capacitor, commonly used in the high voltage circuits of TV's built in the 1960s. Spark plug gadgets usually take the form of an "air gap" within glass. The ceramic capacitor that you see in this ad has nothing to do with spark plugs or ignition circuits. Keep the plug and toss the door knob in the junk.

If you do a search of his completed auctions, he has tried this same sucker bait before and received no bids.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39:30 AM
Registered-III

Well, we have a few opinions, lets find out...I will gladly take Kevin up on his offer to pay for it and let me cut it open. Darn nice of you Kevin!

So the safe assumption is that it is nothing special. Well, I did not intend on bidding, I have no account so...

Thanks, I can finaly get a good night rest now that I dont have to worry about it.

Mac Leod
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57:03 AM
eMail NOT Working

If you want to see a real coil spark plug, actually a pair of them, go to ebay 6509855910. They are over $350. at this time.

They were mainly used on marine engines. You know what water does to a regular spark plug, it shorts out. With the coil plug the only contacts are low voltage and not affected by moisture. The coil is sealed and the sparking points are in the cylinder. The boat could take on water and the engine could still run. I have a couple of them in my spark plug collection. Nice items.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:49:20 AM
Subscriber

I recently saw a pic of a spark plug with the glass tube on the top. I believe that the spark jumps a gap inside the tube which then intensifies the spark at the electrode. Is that correct? Neat idea! Does it work and if so what might I expect to see them priced at on a swap table ?
Thanks, Jim Hunter
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Well I'm Stickin with Harry on this one... Hard to Fool these old Electonics guys...

The "spark intensifiers" were usefull on engines with excessive oil consumption and were only usefull to put off a Major overhaul for a short time. Sooner or later the spark plug would become so cruded up even they would no longer work... The extra spark gap would increase the total voltage the coil would have to withstand which could lead to premature failure.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:06:25 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

My Yamaha motorcycle had a couple aftermarket spark gap affairs built into the plug boots. It was supposed to look cool at night I guess. It did allow you to see if it was firing, but that's about it. Kevin
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,095 Times in 1,503 Posts

I have seen at stores like Rural King and some others that they sell spark plugs that have the gap built into it. If I remember right they were Champions and called the "One Tug Plug". I have used them and I think ( personal opinion) they helped. They sell them for around $1.49.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:41:47 PM
Subscriber

I am using a model T buzz coil on my engine. Do you think a plug with the extra glass tube would be harmfull to that type coil?
Thanks, Jim Hunter
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42:07 PM
Registered-III

Well heres my thoughts about an extra gap and buzz coil... I doubt it would damage a coil, people use 12 volts on the buzz coils no problem... "t" and I think also "a" would generate up to 32 (?) volts because there was no regulator on it. Also the coils I have seen are going for about 5-10 bucks each here...could always try it.

If I am wrong let me know

Mac Leod
Old 02-10-2005, 07:11:32 AM
Subscriber

Wow! Buy it now price makes me think "not" but I'll watch! Have had many a buzz coil in my hand at the swap for like you say- 5 or 10, but always wonder-will it work? Is there a quick or easy way to test one say with a multi-tester or something? Thanks, Jim
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30:45 AM
Subscriber

I looked at the spark plug and gadget on e bay . I bought one of these at the fair in 1951 . after using it for years I took it apart . it had a stack of copper washer the size of pennys seperated by plastic discs. this made the spark jump Mine went in the dis.tower and the coil wire pluged in to it . do not know if it helped but I was 16 years old at the time . made me feel good to know it was there, Buster
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44:02 PM
Registered-II

I side with Harry. Methinks this is another snake oil, splitfire, tune up in a can, etcetra gizmo. Funny how all those stupid engineers wasted their time and money learning dumb things in college. Why in college they are so dumb that they say ya can't get more out than ya put in. Maybe if they put two of these here intesifiers together, the spark would get twice as hot.......or is that the spark would be squared? Just boggles the mind.