Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Halfbreed question

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1592 times

Old 02-09-2005, 11:30:32 PM
Registered-III

Question Halfbreed question

I have been talking to some of you all separately on helping me locate main caps for this engine as well as identifing what it is. here are a couple pics. The fourth pic is a shot of what the piston looked like when I removed the head this past weekend, the bore is 8" even. Am I correct in thinking this is the original steam piston? Looks that way to me with the rod coming through it. comments? The fluid in the bore is penetrating oil, not water.
My main caps have a stud spacing parallel to the crank of 3.5", a spacing perpendicular to the crank of 7 3/8" and a diagonal spacing of 8".
I would also be interested in who might be able to cast some caps.
I have more pics if someone is interested.
As for the age discussion, I was on the sideline of this hobby for a number of years and last year at the age of 37 I got into it.
Love this hobby and love those old engines.
thanks harry.
Attached Thumbnails
pic2.JPG   pic5.JPG   pic6.JPG   inside.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32:21 PM
Registered-III

Red face Re: Halfbreed question

well crap, that is what I get for not proof reading my post before I post, left out the crank diameter, it is 3 1/4"
thanks harry for this site.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:34:19 AM

Thanked 17,702 Times in 5,299 Posts
Default Re: Halfbreed question

How close are you to Quinter? I have a friend there who is FABULOUS pattern maker. Those caps aren't that particular since they are babbitted. Make a wood pattern and have a couple cast. A look at ANY old engine will give you an idea as to the scale of how heavy the cap should be AND you have only ONE surface to worry about plus 4 holes.
Craig
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11:10 AM
Registered-II

The piston is not the original steam piston.

When the engine was switched over it usually came with a kit, inluding the gas cylinder, piston, oiler, intake valve, hot tube and chimney. Unless your engine was a conversion from the factory. Used an old steam bedplate and mounted the cylinder at the factory and sold discount halfbreeds.

All the 2 cycle oilfield engines i know of, have the rod all the way though the piston, since the piston doesn't need a wrist pin. But it does need a secure form of attachment and one that allows the rod to be replaced.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58:55 PM
Registered-III

I am about 2 hrs from Quinter Ks. Is this the Quinter you are talking about?