Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

This is really bugging me! (collecting)

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2299 times

Old 02-12-2005, 11:00:35 PM
Sky

Unhappy This is really bugging me!

this is something i just hafta get off my chest so here it is,

While looking on ebay i find a PB Briggs for sale just found "barn fresh" condition, i might add one engine that i'll never be able to afford along with a fairbanks but my question is, WERE IN THE HECK does everyone find these "barn fresh" deals!? just found condition......does a person look in old abandoned garages and barns and farm land or what! i must be going about this all wrong but that just crosses my wires and blows fuses.....i dunno, maybee im looking in the wrong places?!

nono, i take that back, not blowing fuses but it's like forgetting to push the clutch in and shifting the gears and grinding them! were in the world do i find barn fresh things and were would i start to look?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2005, 08:13:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,525 Times in 740 Posts
Default Re: This is really bugging me!

You need to get an engine and put it out in plain sight, take it for rides, show it at local shows. My friend calls this "bait". After a while engines will start finding you.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:01:26 PM
Registered-III

Besides the "bait" method, which I've used successfully several times, you need to get out and start looking! Go hunt around scrap yards, old fence rows, farm junk heaps, barns, sheds, cellars, under hay piles, in hedges, antique shops, briar thickets, ditches, even by the side of the road! Get the word out you are looking for this stuff. Make up some business cards and pass them out. I just got an engine from a guy whom my father gave one of my cards to 12yrs ago! On nice weekends when I have free time, I grab the dog and we go out engine hunting. Don't limit yourself to your own area either. Range far and wide, and take the road less traveled. Chances are you will find something along the way. It might not be for sale but make note of the find and check back at a later date.

Now you know....

Cheers NICK
Old 02-24-2005, 07:46:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,021 Posts
Smile Re: This is really bugging me!

I have found engines all over the place! Behind a gas station, Under a pile of leaves, next to an access ramp for a local mall, once found a complete 5 HP economy put out at the curb for trash!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13:31 PM
Subscriber

Lately, I have started to carry my 1-1/2 Stover in the back of my van. I stop at the old towns in the mountains and run it at lunch time at the local cafe parking lot.

Most of the old guys will stop and chat for a while. MEMORIES !!!! Good stories.

I have found a few things from this. Always a fun trip to their place to look through their JUNK pile.

Jim
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts

I didn't do much to find my first "toy" It indeed was a dump run fresh. Me and my friend dug it out n brought it home. not to long after that I got two shipped from Texas. Went to a yard sale found one for 5 bucks. Had a couple given to me. Found some not far from my house that are sitting out side gathering rust and bird material if ya know what I mean. Cant get to them to see what shape their in they are in a fenced in area but I do know who owns the place and plan on talking to them next time I see them. Since then I've been watchin where ever I go. Friends houses and around them
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44:16 AM
Registered-III

I remember when I was a kid, my dad would just stop at a farm, and ask if they had any old engines around. A few times this would yield a good find, such as an IHC model m or a New Holland. This was in the sixties. Nowadays I imagine you might be met with a shotgun barrel using this appraoach. I found an engine while house hunting. It was a United 1 1/2 hp. inside a cement mixer. I asked the owner if the engine was for sale, even though I didn't want the house. He said it was, and I bought it. That is the only engine I ever found that wasn't for sale by a vendor at a show. I suppose they are still out there, but becoming increasingly hard to find.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:22:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,052 Times in 733 Posts
Angry Re: This is really bugging me!

I started collecting at a young age. I was 17 when I got my first piece of iron. It was a briggs model b crank start. I still have it. I have been told that most of these hit and miss or the smaller ones are in mostly private collections and thats part of the reason they are gettin alot harder to find. I plan on getting some of the hit n miss maybe a aeromotor first? I'm sure I could drive the least liked neighbors crazy running a good ol hit n miss at night maybe vent the exhaust straight through the side of the garage sounds good to me.