Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Engine Games

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3571 times

Old 02-17-2005, 12:54:02 AM
Registered-II

Default Engine Games

We've all been to the shows where they play tractor games. The teeter-totter, barrel roll, obsticle course, etc. Are there any games/competitions for the engine crowd? The only one I have seen is the "slowest engine" competition. Any other sugestions?

Frank
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 01:44:43 AM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Engine Games

you could try and see who can shot tennis balls the highest out of the exhaust, I like to do it when I'm at home with the oilfield engines.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 02-17-2005, 05:48:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts
Wink Re: Engine Games

After running my big Mogul slow for awhile , its fun to speed it up a bit and watch those big beautiful smoke rings curl up into the sky. I guess we could have a contest for the biggest and most smoke rings .
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27:59 AM
Subscriber

My S M JONES oil field engine shoots cans from the ported exhaust about 100 feet up and 25 feet from the valved exhaust. I give the kids nets to catch the cans. Can't do it if its windy, I have had cans come down three rows over because of the wind. KIDS AND THEIR TOYS!!!
Stop by at Flywheelers next week or Zolfo the week after.
Lou
Old 02-17-2005, 10:23:53 AM
Registered-III

I have been able to slow my jaeger to under 90 rpms...shoot cans up kinda high and make smoke rings that are 5+ feet in dia, one after another after another...

Mac Leod
Old 02-17-2005, 08:05:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

We were at a show where a guy had a 35 H.P. Superior and in the evening when the crowd was gone and all the displayers were watching, he dropped a softball down the stack and when it fired it shot the ball so high, that it damn near went out of site. Needless to say, he figured he better not do it again, because you know and I know that softballs are not very soft.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:35:23 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Engine Games

Last year at a show they rated exhibits on demonstrations. I happen to have won for my corn sheller display where I have one sheller running off my Associated, two different hand jobber for kids that past by to try, and then an exhibit of other shellers for showing. Got a lot of corn shelled but i didn't have any chicken sto feed it too. But the whole deal is trying to get more people showing how the stuff works and what is it used for. Dick in the getting colder Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04:52 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Engine Games

My AC Thomas half breed 12 HP will shoot a can out the exhaust pipe really high but we quit that game after a good friend didn't time his can quite right and the engine fired and he got one "H" of a wound on his finger from the rounded edge of the can!! Can't wait for spring to hear that beast "bark" to life again! Jim in NW Ohio
Old 02-17-2005, 10:39:13 PM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Engine Games

You can do the exact same thing on a 25hp Reid
I Know for a fact.
Been there done that 12 stitches later.
Doctor wanted know how fast can was going
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20:41 PM
Allen

Talking Re: Engine Games

Try wearing weldor's gloves, eye and hearing protection when you play with your cans, The "kids" at Portersville have used them for years, and they've shot all manner of things (including cans, softballs, corn shucks) out Lewindoski's Star vertical.

He hasn't done it in a coupla years tho.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:56:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimjy
My AC Thomas half breed 12 HP will shoot a can out the exhaust pipe really high but we quit that game after a good friend didn't time his can quite right and the engine fired and he got one "H" of a wound on his finger from the rounded edge of the can!! Can't wait for spring to hear that beast "bark" to life again! Jim in NW Ohio
I don't put my cans in the exhaust pipe, I put them over the pipe. No surprises that way.
Lou
Old 02-18-2005, 02:21:57 PM
Registered-II

Man I hope Mr Safety Patrol doesn't read this thread. I read on here one time about a guy that knew someone that had a hit and miss mounted on a pivot somehow and would let the kids stuff corn cobs in the exhaust pipe and then shoot them at stuff.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:18:08 PM
Registered-III

fast start contest
Old 02-18-2005, 08:47:35 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Leod
I have been able to slow my jaeger to under 90 rpms...shoot cans up kinda high and make smoke rings that are 5+ feet in dia, one after another after another...

Mac Leod
How does one get such nice smoke rings? Do you do something special, or does it just naturally make rings with your particular exhaust setup?

-Rick
My Taylor: http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/
Old 02-18-2005, 11:48:30 PM
Registered-III

I recently restored to running a 1 1/2 hp Fooz Jr. that didn't have any mixer on it. I built a mixer out of a sprinkler valve that works very well.

I have had the engine firing 7 to 8 times a minute which is fewer times than most of my other 1 1/2 hp engines.

My next project for this engine is to remove the gas tank not original anyway and replace it with a sight glass engine oiler. I want to be able to mark the glass with two lines that indicate 1 oz of fuel between them.

This way at shows I am sure some of the spectators will see the small amount of fuel in the oiler/gass tank and ask how long the engine will run on that amount of gas.

I will prepair a chart showing how long the engine will run on 1 gallon of fuel according to calculations based on minutes per oz.. Remembering that 1 gallon of water is 128 Fluid oz., if the engine runs just 4 minutes per oz. that would mean that the engine would run 124x4=512/60 min/hr = 8 hours and 38 minutes per gallon. I am guessing that it will actually run more than 4 minutes per oz. It will be an interesting experiment.

I also think this would be a good contest based on minutes and seconds it takes an engine to burn an oz. of fuel. This could also be devided by the advertised hp of the engine. I realise that when we slow down our engines that they don't generate their advertised hp.

The point especially with hit and miss engines is that when they are not working they are fairly fuel efficient.

I wouldn't enter any competition anyway because I enjoy this hobby most because I can enjoy others acomplishments as well as my own without being in competition with them. That is not to say that I don't enjoy seeing others compete who enjoy the challenge. I find it enough of a challenge to find these old engines and restore them to running condition so that I can share them with my friends and show them to others to give them a glimpse into the past.

When I get my Oiler/gas tank working I will post some pictures and let you know how many minutes and seconds a 1 1/2 hp foos will run on 1 oz. of gas.

Dick
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37:32 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the sugestions. Any kind of projectile launching would be out of the question, for saftey reasons. A fuel usage/economy competition would be great, but would have to be classed by hp. and would have to be a "no modification to engine" type event.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50:59 PM
Registered-III

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...ht=smoke+rings
Old 02-19-2005, 05:15:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,506 Posts

that ball, can, or whatever has to come down somewhere, and i for one, wouldn't want it in the crankshaft of my running model n economy or other small engine. i wouldn't want it on the top of my head either. i have seen a couple of people hit this way, and they were fighting MAD.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:43:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,296 Times in 309 Posts

You could play annoy the dog & neighbors, like this: Whistle
Old 02-20-2005, 02:42:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Jim you cant do that! You will have a ____ed off dog and owner! Got to watch out for those 1/10 of a oz aluminum cans may give someone a head ache.I think I have this figured out if you dont spend $1.50lb for a old cast iron engine then another 200.00 for the mag its missing you would have money in bank and a happy wife, by not moving (or starting) these 100lb per hp.engines you wont get a bad back, Make sure and put a osha approved cover over all moving parts and by all means dont let anyone run a whistle or straight exhaust. But by all means dont do anything that may offend anyone. All I can say lets see how loud they will bark and high the cans will fly!!(JUST TRY AND AIM THEM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! ) BobRR