Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron.

Antique Tractors - Old Iron Lugs, Cleats and Tracks

Dain - Sold by John Deere

Dain Tractor sold by John Deere. Owned by the Sycamore, IL Club. They run this tractor at their...

this thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 19799 times

Old 02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,545 Times in 169 Posts
Photo Dain - Sold by John Deere

Dain Tractor sold by John Deere. Owned by the Sycamore, IL Club. They run this tractor at their show each year.

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Thanked 13,546 Times in 4,236 Posts
Default Re: Dain - Sold by John Deere

And THIS is what REALLY got my hackles up when the OTHER Dain, formerly owned by Frank Hansen (Hanson??) CLAIMED HIS was the ONLY one when everybody on EARTH, practically, was aware of the one at Sycamore. The only difference, I believe, is the one you picture has no tag.
To that I say "BIG DEAL ". That makes it any less a Dain? BULL CRAP! I'd use the other word but the filters won't allow it...............
BTW: I saw Hansen's Dain some years ago when it was at the show at Baraboo, WI.
It ran like the word I didn't use above...............................
Old 02-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,705 Times in 640 Posts

Yup, and the one at Sycamore they drive through the parade in the dirt like it was meant to be and the ( Other ) one was kept in a Glass Case Any body know for sure what ever happened to Frank Hansons..????? Last I heard it was for sale for BIG Bucks....
Old 02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Sponsor

When the Sycamore Dain was donated to the club it had a tag, they do know the number on it. The tag was lost no one knows where it is today. When Mr. Hanson was doing the restoration on his he copyed some of the parts from the one in Sycamore. The Hanson Dain is now on permanent display at the John Deere Collectors Center in downtown Moline. and they still clam that it is the only one.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Subscriber

I think what Deere claims is it is the oldest..Number 79, and the only "complete" one known to exist. Here's an article... http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/...d_tractor.html
Old 02-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Dain---Going out on a BIG limb~~~

This Dain business has been going on long enough and the Deere article to which Dale directed us in his above post made me do something I cannot undo. I sent Deere and Company the following email as an effort to clear up or clarify this Dain thing. There can be only one of four consequences: 1: I'm an idiot; 2: Deere actually acknowledges the Sycamore Dain; 3: They blow me off or 4: see number 1.

Oh, here's the actual email:

I can understand your pride in acquiring the Dain tractor from the decendants of Frank Hansen but I can NOT understand your continuing insistance that "The machine is the only complete one known to still exist of approximately one hundred tractors built by John Deere in 1918." as quoted from this article: http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/...d_tractor.html
This is utterly false information and more than a few people are aware of this fallacy.
I direct you to this forum (where I happen to be the moderator) at the widely known and popular site owned and operated by Harry Matthews of Sarasota, Florida:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19939
In addition to the OTHER complete Dain tractor there were, some years ago, parts of a Dain tractor in Sulley, Iowa.
Perpetuating this story doesn't make good press for Deere and Company and is, in my opinion, demeaning for the Club at Sycamore, Illinois, who are so very fortunate to own the OTHER Dain tractor.
Perhaps you have information of which no one else in the world is aware but in the event you do not I anxiously await your reply.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Sponsor

The tractor owned by the Northern Illinois Steam Power Club is the thirty-fourth one built. this makes it older than the oldest one.

THE SYCAMORE DAIN
http://www.threshingbee.org/dain.html

The Northern Illinois Steam Power Club sitte
http://www.threshingbee.org/
Old 03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Sponsor

Craig, Did you ever here anything from John Deere, re: the dain? Bob
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 PM

No Bob....Nothing, nada, zero, zilch................
Big surprise.
Deere has always pretty careful about jumping into things........
I DID, however, EXPECT at the LEAST, a "form letter" email response but didn't get even that.
I AM a persistent person though and I will follow up soon.
Deere is also VERY protective not only of their trademark but ALSO their reputation.
I thought THEIR Dain tractor would fit both catagories......
Craig
Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Subscriber

Craig, please keep us posted on this. I would think that Deere would be proud for ALL their tractors. Wounder what they think and feel about the Froelich.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:18 AM

Deere thought enough about the Froelich to have a full size replica built which is on display in the Moline Visitors Center. There is a model Froelich tractor on display in the "almost village" of Froelich, Iowa. Froelich is only a few miles West of Prairie du Chien....where my wife is from.
I KNOW I have a photos SOMEWHERE (besides my shop wall) of BOTH tractors............
Here I go again...............................
Craig
Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dain - Sold by John Deere

Well everyone..I received a reply from John Deere today!!!!!
I TOLD you they are a careful company and don't jump into things without much thought.
A pdf file was included and I'm going to ATTEMPT to link to it from my ftp server.
I will post that link and my response to Deere and Company in a following post.
At any rate (and I'm not sure yet if the entire response can be posted all at once I'll give it a shot) here it is:

Craig,
Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning the John Deere All Wheel Drive Tractor. I have been asked to respond to your question as listed below.

John Deere does still stand by its statement for these reasons; The tractor that is displayed at the John Deere Collectors Center was the 79th unit of production, yes it is true that there is another running All Wheel Drive Tractor, which at one time carried an earlier serial number, that is owned by a Sycamore Illinois Tractor club. This John Deere has never denied or disclaimed. But as you can see, from the attachment enclosed, when the tractor was donated to them it was less hood and the radiator had been replaced. Since that time the serial number plate has been removed and has been lost. The club has made several reproduction serial number tags for this unit and all of this is unfortunate, but never the less makes that tractor an incomplete tractor. John Deere has never discouraged the Sycamore club from showing this unit to those who attend their annual shows. Actually Deere is in admiration of those who are in control of this tractor, that the John Deere legacy is carried so passionately by those who may have little connection with John Deere other than a past memory, a true understanding in the history of agriculture, or just wanting to be apart of a hobby that is as great as tractor collecting is. Not only does it bring to attention the history of John Deere but to the evolution of Agriculture as a whole. To summarize, yes, this is the only complete one known to exist. The other John Deere All Wheel Drive is still operational and still some that are only portions of a once truly advanced machine that was designed and manufactured by John Deere.

To those who are discussing the decision as to if a tractor should be ran or not, this should be left up to those who actually own the tractor. In this case Deere & Company Archives is the owner, the John Deere Collectors Center is merely the location that it is housed. Does the All Wheel Drive that is owned by Deere & Company run, yes, but it was felt that it would be better served to show the internal workings of the truly unique for it's time transmission and drive system. That is the only portion of the tractor that is under plexi-glass, the rest of the tractor can be touched, examined and viewed by all. As I recall there are other tractors that are displayed and showed throughout out the country that are, by the owners request, not to ever be started or moved again, as I stated earlier it is an owners decision to enjoy their prize in a manor they see appropriate.
I can only encourage you to come view this tractor, and with an open mind and make your decisions based on facts and not on hear say.

signed: Brian Holst (John Deere Collector Center Mgr)
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM

First, here is the pdf photo and caption (it's 323K!) attached to the email I received from Deere and Company followed by my response.

http://www.andersonofrosholt.com/my ...nd caption.pdf (I'll be darned-----it WORKED!!! )

And my letter back to Deere:

Thank you so much for your response!
It's always nice to know when someone is actually paying attention.
As I stated in the forum I moderate, I know John Deere to be a very careful (and protective) company.
It is not, and was not, my intent to discredit Deere's purchase of the tractor or make any comment as to whether the tractor will actually be operated while in Deere's possession....however....Hansen was displaying the tractor when I saw it and it did not run well....which is actually neither not there as that is something that can be fixed if Deere chooses to do so.
Regarding hear say: a member of the Sycamore club had this to say and I have to believe what he says: "The tractor owned by the Northern Illinois Steam Power Club is the thirty-fourth one built. which is based on the number from the serial tag they had."
I have no desire to debate this issue or discredit Deere and Company and I'm sure everyone will be very pleased to know a multinational company such as Deere actually listens.
As I see no copyright or watermark on the attached pdf file you kindly provided, I am going to link to it from my ftp site for the benefit of the visitors at Harry Mathew's website
Should you wish I do NOT do so, please advise and I will take it down.
Again, I thank you for your detailed response and believe it is good press for Deere and Company!!!
I think you should know my first five or six collector tractors were all John Deere tractors and I still have two!!

Craig Anderson
Old 04-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,599 Times in 278 Posts

As a liitle side note regarding John Deere Daine tractors. My dad owns a tool box off one of these tractors. He bought at an estate auction in Iowa on our way to the Waukee Swap meet in 1991. Nobody new what it was during the auction and they could not get a bid on it so they threw it in with some other items that my dad was high bidder on. After the auction my dad went to pick up his stuff and he was about to throw the tool box aside and leave it until he saw the nameplate for John Deere on it. It looked a little odd so he kept it. We left it on the trailer at the swap meet (over night) until some one identified it as a Daine tool box and nameplate. Suddenly the John Deere fanatics came out of the woodwork with some very suprisingly high offers to buy the tool box. Needless to say the toolbox stayed in the camper with us at night after that. I believe that the number on the tag is 191824. The 1918 is the year of manufacture and the 24 would signify that it was the 24th made.

Dan Donaldson

P.S. My dad is still getting generous offers for the tool box. I don't believe he will sell it though because it is more fun to watch the fanatics drool over it.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Sponsor

I read this to say that every John Deere tractor or engine that has had a part replaced, new hood, grill, gas tank, or anything else, is incomplete. How about new paint? It would be very hard to belive that John Deere's Dain has not had anything changed on it. This is my own opinion I am not a member of the Sycamore club. I think John Deere should be very proud to say that two Dains are survivors, and not say that they have the only complete one. Bob Ronning
Old 04-17-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ronning
I think John Deere should be very proud to say that two Dains are survivors, and not say that they have the only complete one. Bob Ronning
EXACTLY Bob!!! That's why I did what I did.
What will Deere do IF someone ever finds the DUMP in ND (?..I'll check on which State later--it's too late now...) where many of them were buried????
Craig
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Subscriber

Craig, I am sure every tractor guy in the world dreams of such a dump where tractors where buried. Then mabey would could drive down these prices!!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Subscriber

The Dains failure was the gear drive to the fan blade. No cushion or slip clutch on the drive and the gears would fail. There were no replacement parts for the Dains. The failed tractors must have been bought back by Deere. I had heard that the tractors had been pushed into a river near Huron. I had a high school english teacher that was a advid hunter who had grown up near Huron. I asked him if he had ever run across the Dains. He told me that they had been in a lake on his uncles farm and that during WW II that the Dains were dug out for the scap iron drive. The SD ag museum has a late 20s Deere inventory list from the Huron warehouse that shows several unsold Dains in stock.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Subscriber

Huron, South Dakota
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 AM

In the book "John Deere's Company' by Wayne G. Broehl, Jr., which NO serious JD person should be without, there is an account, sort of, about the Dain fiasco. All I need is some time to FIND it.........it's a BIG book!!