Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

A Question of Direction

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2467 times

View Poll Results: Add more sub-forums to the main stak?
Leave it alone! 111 75.00%
WorkShop 25 16.89%
ShowTalk 19 12.84%
EbayTalk 13 8.78%
AuctionTalk 12 8.11%
More 5 3.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2005, 02:43:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,012 Times in 1,482 Posts
Default A Question of Direction

I'm curious if you would like to see more sub-forums on the SmokStak Main Board. If you take a look at SparkArcs, you'll see subforums for Onan and Kohler. Here on the main board, we have sub-forums for tractors, paint and the original archives.

Imagine if all posts on this site were on only one board. That would be quite hard to sift through to find what you want. So, the question is whether to sort it out further into more categories.

For example: WorkShop ShowTalk EbayTalk Auctions (You can vote for more than one option.)

We aim to please, but we can't please everyone.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:16:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts
Default Re: A Question of Direction

I kinda like having it all on one board. I am gonna look at every post anyway, and If I have no enterest or response, I just go on to the next one... In some cases, Less is better???

David M.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:01:32 PM
Registered-III

Maybe it's just me or some internet browser setting that i'm not aware of, but I would personally like it if, when you clicked on the link to Smokstak from the Enginads page, that it would go to the message board home page, rather than straight to the engine forum. Seems everytime, i have to click on "Smokstak", and then go to the top of the page and click on "main forum directory" and then go to "Old Lugs and Cleats" or whichever forum I would also like to browse. I seem to remember it was that way for a short while in the beginning, but isn't any longer. Just my $0.02 Thanks Harry!

Jeb
Old 02-19-2005, 12:31:32 AM
Administrator

Thanked 9,012 Times in 1,482 Posts

Rather than coming in the door through http://www.enginads.com/ why not come in via http://www.smokstak.com/

This way, you see exactly what has gone on the boards since your last visit. You can choose from "View New Posts" or "Today's Posts" and see it all. It even gives you a post count of New Threads and New Posts. Menu clickers are there for all the boards.

If you click "Forums" you can then get to the EnginAds classified ad boards from the main forum board: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/

-- Harry
Old 02-19-2005, 01:47:12 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Well Harry, you already know that I would to see the sub-forums become main forums and leave it at that. Some of the longest and most interesting threads here have been, for the most part, off-topic anyway and have taken place in the main forum where, incidently, I think many of the members are most comfortable anyway.
I expect this to be worth exactly what you paid for...................
Old 02-19-2005, 11:23:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,582 Times in 939 Posts

No matter what you change, some are happy, some are not. My .02 is that there are a few too many sub-forums already. I liked Sparks and Arcs better when everything was in one bucket.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:13:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Well... I have noticed a difference as far as what door you come in on is concerned and I wonder if that caused some cornfusion as far as some not seeing a place to reply/post. Either way is Fine with me.

I think the subforum on Spark and Arcs is Good because you don't have to wade through all the Onan/Motorhome questions to get to what the board is all about in the first place. Maybe more subforums would be more work for Harry reshuffling all the posts as some put them in the Wrong places.

Some Grumble because the new system is too complicated.... BUT.... If I can Figure it out Anybody Can....