Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Engines in the weeds... Show us where you found yours

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2600 times

Old 02-18-2005, 08:46:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Engines in the weeds... Show us where you found yours

This engine was found in the mountains of North-eastern Pa... 6 Hp Sta-Rite ...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2005, 09:40:03 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Engines in the weeds... Show us where you found yours

I know this is a silly question but did you take it home? I have an old friend of mine that told me he is bringing me a old international engine and a john deere he wasnt sure if it was all there cant wait to see. You have a nice find there.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:12:03 PM
Registered-III

I found most of my engines in the back of someones garage or pick up truck. Most of my engines were given to me usually after I gave their former owners some green stuff.

I keep looking for flywheels as I travel. In So. California there aren't many virgin finds to be made.

I have been in engine collection hobby for about 25 or 30 years and have known many of the old timmers many of whom are no longer with us.

I believe that there is much more old iron in Southern California than there is in just about anywhere else around. I believe there are two reasons for this. And these reasons to spite the fact or mabye because the fact that more scrap iron and steel has been exported through LA and Long Beach harbors than just about any harbors in the world.

The first reason I believe So Cal has so many old engines is the fact that many people became interested in the "Old Junk" back in the late 50's and early 60's when farmers in the Mid West and South and East saw so much of it just laying around. "Familiarity breeds contempt". The transport of this "Old Junk" to the West coast where it was shipped to Japan, Korea and Asia as scrap was too costly to make it worth dragging off of the farm and that which did make it to the scrap yards was filtered through the California collecters who watched for it. Many of these old timmers told me of scrap yards calling them to come look at some old iron to see if they would be interested and of hunting trips to other states including other West coast states collecting truck and trailer loads of old cars, Engines and other collectables. They told of the rediculessly low prices that they paid, not because they were taking advantage of anyone but because that was what those things were going for in those areas.

The second reason that there are disproportionate numbers of old collectables especially engines and cars is because the climate is more friendly to old iron and steel. The old iron was less succeptable to freeze breaks and the old steel was less succeptable to rust and corosion. I have a lot of engines and a few tractors and only one of them has any freeze damage.

almost everyone acknowleges that Southern California was more or less the birthplace of hotroding and certainly a hotbed of old car collection very early on. Many of these early car people also found old engines, telephones, Radios and other collectables interesting before others around the world paid much attention.

I'm not quite sure if this infusion of old iron has been a blessing or a curse but I consider a find in the back of someones pickup truck just as exciting as a find in a barn, in the weeds or dug up out of a swamp. Just so long as the owner is willing to give it to me. And especially if I don't have to give him too much of the green stuff first.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-351S.JPG   MVC-349S.JPG  
Old 02-19-2005, 05:00:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,701 Times in 1,228 Posts

I found this "IVY" league OLD's 3A-4 1/2HP about 15 miles north of me right here in NJ, a few years back at an estate sale. However, nothing got sold that day because everyone was trying to LO-BALL the guy and he knew it , so he didn't sell any of them . A year or two later after the guy died in an accident his wife was selling everything off and I heard about the sale so I went back. Again, everybody was LO-BALLING the execuitor of the estate and he knew it and nothing was being sold AGAIN. He was taking bids on each of the engines, and I noticed that one was missing . Anyway, I gave him my bid's along with the rest of them and my engine card. He looked at the card (it's unique) and said, we've been looking for you. The guy took the Domestic home with him after the first sale once he found out what it might be worth and his wife now wants it out of the garage and will sell it to you for what you offered years ago. Here is her phone number, call her. I did, and took it home with me the same day. She showed me my card with my offer on it after I told her what I offered him years ago. Two day's later, the execuitor of the estate called and said come get the rest of the engines. She want's you to have them , except for the WITTE drag saw because someone else beat my bid . So, I did. I even got the WITTE because the other person backed out. It was a good six engine week. ps-I still have the rock on top of the hopper, it's still just as rusty, but boy, does it run nice (now).
Attached Thumbnails
oldsfasound.jpg  
Old 02-19-2005, 03:49:07 PM
Subscriber

When we talk about finding, are we sure what we are looking at is lost? I live out on an acreage and tho I have not lost any engines, I have lost other things I guess just because they are there and I am not home.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:45:57 PM
Registered-III

Gary,

I think most of us that are into old iron are honest enough to determine that anything we find has an owner and that we will contact that owner to find out if what we find is available.

I live out in the country, sort of, gentileman farms, horse country, country homes and vinyards.

I put a 1 1/2 HP fairbanks Morse parts junker out on some concrete blocks viewable from the road just to see if I could create any interest. Maybe someone who had an engine or new of one or some other collector. That was 1993 and I just removed it about 2 months ago and in that 12 years I never had anyone seem to notice or comment on it.

I do know that others have had some things seem to get legs but I like to think that it is people outside of the old iron hobby that help these things to walk away.

I hope that anyone who has thoughts of larceny first realises that stealing a mixer, oiler, engine or robbing a bank is all the same to God, it's all stealing.

Some times there is a temptation to rationalize that if something is left where it is it will be ruined. But I figure that if I take it my honesty will be ruined.

Anyway Gary I agree that there is a difference between spotting something finding it.

I think that this post is more about locating simething than it is about finding it.

Dick
Old 02-19-2005, 08:13:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,265 Times in 903 Posts

Can you tell what type of an engine this is? It's 10 HP and this is a picture of it when it was recovered in 1980. It wasn't found by us, by my Dad and I were lucky to get this photo from the previous owner when we bought the engine. I wish we could find a few more like it in the woods!

-Jeff Wahl
www.wahlengines.com
Attached Thumbnails
MogulWoods.JPG  
Old 02-19-2005, 08:30:11 PM
Subscriber

Sideshaft Mogul. Keven