Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Questions about Bates & Edmonds engines

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1882 times

Old 02-20-2005, 08:52:24 PM
Registered

Default Questions about Bates & Edmonds engines

Hi,
I'm new to old engines and a first time poster, please be gentle. I just picked up an engine with BULL DOG cast into the hopper. I think the engine was produced by Bates & Edmonds Motor Co., but I'm not sure. I have the RED book which list the engines on page 48, but my is not exactly like the two shown. Did someone else make a BULL DOG engine? I think mine is a 1 1/2 HP model, I'm not sure about the ones pictured. My engine looks different and its mounted on a cast base with a water pump. Now for the questions:
1) Where can I find more info on these engines.
2) Who would have parts for them.
3) Any idea how many were produced.
4) What type of ing. system was used.
5) What about value in poor and restored condition.
6) Does anyone offer manuals.

Thanks for your help and time,
Glen Thibodeaux
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Questions about Bates & Edmonds engines

Glen - NICE FIND!

Information is scarce on Bates and Edmonds engines, but both Hit N Miss and Starbolt have manuals. See the sponsors page.

Parts are scarce to nonexistant. I'm restoring a 5HP Bulldog, and had to have several parts recast and machined, including a flywheel, mixer, and crankguard.

Can't give you an answer on production numbers, although I do know that Bulldog engines are rare today.

They used three different kinds of ignition systems. 1) Buzzcoil/battery/spark plug, 2) ignitor/low tension coil and 3) ignitor w/low tension mag.

The smaller ones are typically more valuable than the larger ones, simply because the larger ones are so darn heavy. My 5HP will tip the scales at over 1,000lbs when it's done. They're very heavily built engines. Even the smaller ones like yours are massive. I've seen smaller ones, complete, running and unrestored, go for $1500 - $2000, although I'm sure other engines have gone either higher or lower, depending on location, demand, uniqueness, etc.

Yours sounds like it was set up as a pumping engine, and I've never seen one like that. If you can post pictures, I'm sure everyone here would be eager to see it.

If you want to talk more about the engine, drop me a line, and I'll help out as much as I can.

Chris