Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

John Deere Valve?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2111 times

Old 02-22-2005, 11:57:24 PM
Registered-III

Default John Deere Valve?

I receintly purchased 2 Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp headless engines. One of them needs an exhaust valve. I removed the exhaust valve from the more complete engine and found that it was 6 7/8" from end to end including the head and the stem measured .370". The 1.735" head was cast with JD the 2 letters joined back to front. Then below that was cast B-362R and below that was cast EATON.

I took that valve out and tried it in an old spare JD model M tractor head I had in the barn. It fit but seemed longer than it should be for that engine.

My questions are. Is this valve out of a JD engine and if so what model? And does some one have a good used valve that I can drill a cotter pin hole in and use in this engine?

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-357S.JPG   MVC-363S.JPG  

Last edited by Dick Welty; 02-23-2005 at 04:02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2005, 02:55:23 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: John Deere valves for Fairbanks Morse?

Thanks Mike,

Thats good Information to know. Now if any John Deere men have a model B valve that they can measure to confirm if it is similar enough that I can make a valve for my FM headless that will be great. If one of them has one or two usable used ones that I can aquire to bring these engines back to life that would be even greater.

These old Hit and Miss engines still work well with tolerances on valve stems that you wouldn't believe unless you have experienced them. So a valve that you would replace in a John Deere tractor rebuild would work well in a Fairbanks Morse Headless restore to running.

I like to restore most of my engines to look and run like they did when they were being used by their original owners

Thanks, Dick
Old 02-23-2005, 08:56:10 PM
Email Not Working

Default Re: John Deere valves for Fairbanks Morse?

The shop that does my machine work has made several valves for my le roi engines.They have to have a hole drilled in them for the keeper. they say it is no problem for them to drill the hole in the stem.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12:35 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: John Deere valves for Fairbanks Morse?

Thanks Ed,

They probably have very hard drills to do the job. I have drilled valve stems before by heating the end redhot with a torch and letting them cool down slowly. This takes the temper out of the end of the stem. I then drill them with a good drill and then reheat them. I then dip the redhot end in transmission oil or water to retemper it.

This keeps the end from wearing over time. I doubt that this is really necessary on these slow moving engines but I do it because that is what I was taught to do.

If anyone out there has any JD model B valves that they could measure the total length, the stem diameter and head size I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Dick