Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Big Engine Folly

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2004 times

Old 02-24-2005, 12:14:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,579 Times in 937 Posts
Default Re: Big Engine Folly

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I just bought my first old engine - a 3000 pound Ruston Diesel. And I'm glad I did.

I don't think it's a terribly risky investment, as it looks like they are holding their value well. Find a seller you can trust, an engine you like and go for it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 10:32:02 AM
Registered-III

I have a Pattin Bros engine that will start 99.9% on the first rollover. Once I shut it down and walked behind it to turn off the oilers and it suddenly fired once. I suggest you find a guy that can show you how to start one. Once you get the nack,it's pretty easy. BUT to me they are like motorcycle...when you think you have mastered them, they will jump on you.

Last edited by Bob Fultz; 02-24-2005 at 10:34:48 AM. Reason: attachment
Old 02-25-2005, 09:17:53 AM
Subscriber

Most of my engines are small ones. The only one I cannot load into the pickup is an 8-horsepower Waterloo. So, when you hear from me you are not getting large engine experience.

My son and I came close to buying a 30 h.p. Superior, once. Since then, I'm glad we didn't. Had I gotten it, I would have been locked in to always having, at minimum, a ¾-ton pickup and sturdy trailer. Even though I live on 6-acres, I don't have space for storing that kind of hauling equipment.

Unless you have a large enough trailer and towing vehicle, already, a large engine could get expensive. An acquaintance of mine has a Black Bear and the last I knew it was for sale. I suspect it was for the reasons cited.

Regards,

Orrin
Old 02-26-2005, 05:18:54 PM
Registered-III

I'd be happy to give that Black Bear a good home, if the price is one that I can afford!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:30:41 AM
Registered-III

The Black Bear would feel right at home here too! Mark Congden
Old 02-27-2005, 01:03:52 PM
Subscriber

It is true,,,the big engines are much more work than the small ones. Thats why you see many of the older fellows in the hobby go over to something small and light so they can attend a show without any hassle. I have a 15 HP Reid and I don't care if I ever take it to a show. I just own it cause I like hearing it run. When you own one of these engines, any size, you own a piece of history. I do plan on taking my Reid to a few shows that are close to me and I do have the means to move it, but I also have a nice small bulldog that I plan on restoring to take to shows when I'm unable physically to handle the Reid.And at 56 yrs young, that point is right around the corner. I guess what I,m saying is it really comes down to personal preference and what you really want to do in your own heart. And I totally agree that in the wrong hands, they ALL will hurt you, if you're not on the ball.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:33:57 PM
eMail NOT Working

I know a lot of large engines are hauled to shows that I attend. That does require a good trailer and a suitable truck to pull it safely. One other way is if you belong to a show with permanent buildings where it can stay and run it during their show. I have a 35 HP Field Brundage gas engine that stays at the Badger Steam & Gas Engine show at Baraboo, WI. It is 150 miles from home but I stay and run it the 3 days of the show. I do not have a large trailer and truck to haul it and the space to store it at home. So this is good for me and good for the show.