Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ford Buzz Coil

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2249 times

Old 02-25-2005, 04:15:47 PM
Subscriber

Arrow Ford Buzz Coil

I have a ZZ Briggs and the coil is bad. I've had an eye on a couple model T coils at the local antique store, so I bought one today. I looked through the archives and figured out how to wire it. It buzzes, but it only jumps in the plug every once in a great while. I'm sure it needs a condenser, cause the points spark alot. Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a T coil with the tar removed? If I were to melt the tar out, put a regular condenser inside, what would would I insulate the insides with again besides tar?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2005, 05:15:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ford Buzz Coil

I have revived T coils by just cleaning the points with fine emery paper or even an emery fingernail card. I then adjusting the nut that regulates the tension on the points to get the best spark. If this dosn't work I connect a regular condensor on the outside as I remember between the 2 lower sets of nuts.

I have read on this forum that it is sometimes necessary to cut the internal condensor wire but I haven't had to do that yet.

If you get the coil to put out a good spark and don't want the condensor to show I would open it up and solder in a modern milar .47 to 1 MFD 630 Volt capacitor. They are available at RadioShack, Fry's Electronics or any other good electronic supply co. for a couple of dollars.

EDITED NOTE: I just read Elden DuRand's Responce to "Buzz Coil Help" where he states that a .22MFD capacitor is the correct value for a Ford buzz coil. I believe that he is probably correct on that value as he has more experience than I do in this area. I doubt that the value is critical as long as it is greater that .22MFD and not greater that 2MFD but I am not any expert.

These "capacitors" (modern name for condensor) are nonpolar and can be soldered in either way. They will also probably never fail as they are way more stable than the old paper and foil condensors used in most old Buzz coils and Magnitos.

The thumbnail is showing a KW brand T coil which has the solder terminals conveniently exposed with the cover removed. Some coils will require some digging in the tar or whatever it is that fills the box.

Some of you have probably noticed that I almost always have a picture to post whenever I post or reply on this forum. Some have asked which camera to get for this purpose. I have had my Sony Digital Mavica (MVC-FD85) for 6 or 8 years now and I like it very much. It uses a 4" floppy which is getting obsolete now but it is also Memory Stick compatable. I just take several pictures adjusting the flash untill I get a clear one, then I put the floppy into the computer and use the manage the attachments to pull it in. I usually also save it in MY Pictures.

These cameras are probably considered obsolete now so they should be getting cheap on ebay or elseware. They take very good color pictures of flowers and any thing else you want to take pictures of. I just use the low resolution 640 by 480 resolution and find that unless I want to print a very large print that works very well and allows many pictures per disk. I have never reused the disks as they are very cheap and that way I have backups off computer.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-394S.JPG  

Last edited by Dick Welty; 02-25-2005 at 09:24:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27:53 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Ford Buzz Coil

I suggest you try this website for capacitor. It is the one reccomended by the Ford model t club of America. www. funprojects.com/products/5007cap.cfm
They are of the thinking it makes a big difference which type you put in. They also have a good book on testing and repairing. TJ
Old 02-25-2005, 10:34:10 PM
Subscriber

Red face Re: Ford Buzz Coil

Hi it's me again. Just checked the address. Do not put an "S" after project. Also Capitalize letters for "CAP". Sorry
Old 02-26-2005, 12:46:33 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ford Buzz Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimntih
If I were to melt the tar out, put a regular condenser inside, what would would I insulate the insides with again besides tar?
The tar is not needed. The original condensers ususally fail open, so you do not need to remove it. Just attach any automotive type (or lawn mower)condenser to the outside of the buzz coil. Attach at the points base nuts, wire to top point, case to bottom.
Check Harry's archives, he has a good diagram.
http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm