Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Best spray paint?

What is the best spray paint that you can buy? I have tried a few brands that were pretty bad and...

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 62003 times

Old 02-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,352 Times in 862 Posts
Default Best spray paint?

What is the best spray paint that you can buy? I have tried a few brands that were pretty bad and chipped off really easy when assembling my engines. I know brush painting works alot better, but it is a real pain when trying to do the small parts. What have you had the best luck with.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,335 Posts
Talking Re: Best spray paint?

Best factory canned - Krylon, hands down! It dries fairly quickly to the touch, most times 5 minutes to handle gently, and is pretty hard in an hour. With the exception of the metallics, it will not wash off with gas (a big fault with Rustoleum), and it is fairly heat resistant. They also make Hi-Heat paint as well. Let it dry 30 days, and you can also polish it to a beautiful lustre! I use it on mower engines, Maytags (Forrest Green and Glossy Black) and more.
Andrew
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Best spray paint?

Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel, which is what the stores usually sell is probably the best inexpensive paint made that has a high Gasoline resistance (In My Opinion). I only use Rusoleum on my engines. Every time I put them away after running them I wipe them down with a paper towel with some Gasoline on it. Takes all the oil and grease off the paint. If when im done it leaves a dull finish I wipe over it with another paper towel that is dry to buff it out a little. Makes it shine again. I cant tell you how many times i spilled gas down the side of an engine and on the painted carts. Didnt hurt them one bit. But whatever you do dont use Napa engine paint. I used it on a tractor side panel and the first time I got a few drops of gas on it the paint washed completely away. I have used, and have, just about every color of Rustoleum either outdoors or on an engine and none of them seem to fade noticibly when used outdoors.

Frank Y
Old 02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,301 Times in 974 Posts

My experience is that gasoline will quickly eat away at Krylon. On the other hand, Rustoleum appears to be fairly stable. Keep it wiped off - if you let it puddle for a day, your paint will surely soften. For cleanup, I'd stick with kerosene or WD40 - why ask for trouble?

Don't forget to READ the Rustoleum label. All spraying must take place within an hour OR you have to WAIT two days before applying another coat. If you don't wait, the paint will shrivel, lift and come right off.

I've had excellent results from automotive spray cans. The problem is that the colors would be whacky on an antique engine.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered-III

I started using TSC, BPS (best paint sold) (believe it is made by valspar?) enamel a couple yrs ago and it holds up just as good if not better then Rustoleum. About 7yrs ago I painted my JD with Rustoleum (brush) after 4yrs it was fading and turning chaulky. 3yrs ago I painted it with BPS (brush) It lays down nice with no brush strokes, high gloss and still looks like I just did it. It mainly is a tractor and implement paint so comes in most of the popular tractor colors. Seems to hold up to gas too. Still use a lot of rustoleum too. Like Harry said watch your recoat time that is the biggest thing I dont like about rustoleum. BobRR
Old 02-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,335 Posts

I painted a fully restored United 2 1/4 HP with rustoleum regal red paint. It looked beautiful. After I had the engine all assembled, I tried to get it out of my basement. NO WAY! After a complete dissassembly and re build, I put gas in it and fired it up. The gas stripped the paint off the block and the fuel tank quicker than any paint remover I have ever purchased! This was after the engine sat for a month after painting. I ended up completely stripping the engine down, and repainting with DuPont Dulux. I have used Krylon for years, and unless they recently changed their formulas, I haven't had any problems with gas washoff.
Andrew
Old 02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Sponsor

Some of you all may know for sure but I think Ace brand paint sold by Ace Hardware is the same as Rustoleum and it's a little less expensive.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
CJ Winslow

I have done some work with a paint called Plasti-Kote. They make some paint for engines that is gas and oil resistant and also resists heat up to 500 degrees. I am working on finishing off a Jaeger now that I used 'Old Ford Blue' on and it matched up awfully darn close to the old blue that was on some parts of the engine. They have a hand full of colors available as seen on their web page.

- CJ
Old 03-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Registered-III

My experience with the True value enamel on My Ariens was a disaster. I first sprayed several thin coats, but it wouldn't cover. I thickened it, then reshot at same time. It was perfectly slick like a mirror. The next day, a perfect wrinkle job,all over. I scraped it all off and reshot with a lighter coats, less thin. It showed through a little. Next day another wrinkle job, with smaller wrinkles.Scraped again. On third try I used only one coat except two very light coats over the discolored portion. Wrinkles every where there was any more than the single coat which didn't cover well. I've painted hundreds of items, many cars included; and never have I had a problem like this except the time I put 4 coats of MS synthetic enamel with 5050 color solve which is a 2 coat only system, and I got the 100% wrinkle. (but only after the owner insisted it was dry and drove it home. It wrinkled on the way.) What did I do wrong with the Ariens? The paint composition was standard soya alkyd modified machinery enamel just like all the others. Only True Value would match the color in a quart. I thinned with Zylene as advised at the store. Any Ideas? Should I go back to car paint?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Subscriber

Any chance the primer and paint weren't compatable?

Bill
Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Registered-III

I don't believe so. It was Rustoleum 7769 spray can, dry and sanded. It was only spot primed and feathered, and the wrinkling occured all over; anywhere there was more than the single coat.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered-I

I have recently repainted an LB International flywheel with Martin-Senour Tough Coat and it went on reallly good. Brushed that is. They have a mixed color called International Harvester Red and it seems to match the rest of the engine very closely. About 10 bucks a quart which isn't too bad. Haven't tested the gasoline resistance yet.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Best spray paint?

Hello all, I am new here. But I would like to tell you that I have use with great results a spray paint named Duplicolor. www.duplicolor.com
This site is absolutely great..... thanks
Al.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Sponsor

Rustoleum does make a high performance spray paint, but chances are you won't find it in a hardware store or auto store. They sell a line of industrial paints, best to check their website for tech info. Grainger sells some of their top-end finishes, and I'm sure that the Rustoleum factory can advise where to buy the industrial paints. I use their 9400 series polyurethanes (super toxic when applying and pretty expensive at $200/gallon). This stuff is beautiful and virtually indestructible. But the minimum quantity is 1 gallon.......
Old 03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered-III

To: Al H.

Walmart has Duplicolor paint in their automotive section. The cans have a car or truck on them.

1. Is this the variet of Duplicolor you used?

2. How gasoline resistant is it?

3. Any thing out of the ordinary to consider when using it?

Thanks
David Thomas
Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

krylon dries fast rustoleum wrinkles if you dont re coat properly bps is ok if you have lots of time
Old 02-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered-III

Hi Guys,I'm new here too.LIke Al H,i've used duplicolor as well as plastikote paint with very good results.I mainly restore briggs engines but i did do a maytag with krylon forrest green and that turned out great too.To each his own i guess.I use the high temp engine enamel mostly.Resists heat and seem to hold up well to oil and gas.The idea is NOT to have leaks but sometimes things happen. When i paint one of my li'l b&s engines,i paint them mostly apart(all the sheet metal etc).Makes for a MUCH nicer and easier job.Lots of wet sanding helps too.