Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Sealing Gas Tanks

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1298 times

Old 03-03-2005, 10:29:37 AM
Registered-I

Question Sealing Gas Tanks

I am about to buy a new gas tank for my International LB and was wondering if I should use gas tank sealer in a new tank and how is the best way to prepare a galvanized tank for painting? Spring is getting close in Tennessee!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2005, 06:57:00 PM
Registered-I

Talking Re: Sealing Gas Tanks

Frank,
I've used a gas tank sealer that I purchased from Hit & Miss Enterprises on a brand new galvanized tank with good results. And I've also just hooked a new one up out of the box with out tank sealer. Neither tank leaks. And this is going on at least 4 years. So I guess it's your preference. As far as painting galvanized metal tanks. I lightly scuffed the tank with Scotch Brite cleaned the tank down with carb cleaner, primed with RustOleum and just painted with a standard RustOleum color. I let each coat dry for 3-4 days between paintings. I've had overflowing gas on the tank and it didn't affect the painted surface. Just make sure you wipe up the spill up immediately with soapy water from dishwashing liquid if possible.

Mike
Old 03-03-2005, 08:00:14 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Sealing Gas Tanks

Mike, thanks for the advice. I had a paint store guy tell me I should clean well then prime with a latex base primer. Paint over the latex primer with regular oil base paint. Seems like any time I have used latex on metal I eventually got some rust. Paint guy may know what he's talking about but, I kinda like your advice about roughing it up then putting on the RustOleum.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:28:58 PM
Subscriber

There use to be a special primer for galvanized material I have not used it for years but sure did work good. It left a very sticky surface for you finish coat. I would check a hardware store to see if is still available. Keven
Old 03-03-2005, 10:09:16 PM
Subscriber

You should always rough the surface up on any material you paint. Take a little 3M scuff pad and go over the surface of your tank just enough to make some scraches. Take some denatured alachol or go to your local paint dealer and see if they carry a surface preping liquid. Go over the surface of the tank with the alachol or preping liquid then use a good good primer sealer let dry ofcorse then if you have a base coat clear coat paint paint it now and try to get minimal runs cause if you screw up a base coat clear coat it is kinda tricky to sand a run out, then just re paint that spot. If you have a 2 step base, then clear. Spray a light coat of your color just enough to almost cover the tank. Let it flash or become sticky to the touch then spray a little bit heavier second coat of paint. If you think it you need to spray another coat go ahead spray as many coasts of base color as you want. You dont need to just as long as you have your surface fully coverded. Now spray your clear the same as you sprayed your base coat. THIS WAY should last you a long long time being that this is how I was taught to do it from the fella I work for. And being that he does restorations of classic cars for the past 15 years I'm pretty sure this will give you the best or close to the best results.

Chase 17 years old and still lovein old engine