Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Wristpin set screw.

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1765 times

Old 03-04-2005, 08:33:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Wristpin set screw.

I have this FBM 6HP Z piston that I need to get the con rod off due to excessive rusting. Any ideas how to get the wristpin set screw out? I have been soaking, thinking about electrolysis, the set of the piston is fine with no rust.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 08:43:56 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: Wristpin set screw.

Take it to a GOOD welder and weld an oversized nut on it. You will probably also have to heat the boss---but you never know---you MIGHT get lucky...........
ON the OTHER hand..............don't hold your breath.....
Old 03-04-2005, 10:24:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson
Take it to a GOOD welder and weld an oversized nut on it. You will probably also have to heat the boss---but you never know---you MIGHT get lucky...........
ON the OTHER hand..............don't hold your breath.....
I agreee with Craig. That is one nasty looking rod. Lots of heat might break the set screw loose. Other than that, GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!

Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 10:43:56 PM
Subscriber

If worse comes to worse you could always flatten out the top of the bolt hit with a center punch and drill it out,if you can get in there with a drill.Dave
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,011 Posts

I have welded a nut to a wrist pin set screw before on a Stover that was rusted really bad like that. Lucky for me it worked and came out, but like Craig said, you have to get a good strong weld on it. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:15:01 AM
Registered-II

Greg, Just drill it out, clear into the wrist pin , and drive the wrist pin out. if you weld on a nut and it still won't come out then you will worse off. you can always retap for a set screw and make or purchase another wrist pin relativly cheaply. warm but wet in texas joe
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49:18 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

The nut will twist off and he'll be no worse off than he was to begin with. It beats drilling an off center hole. There is NOTHING worse than a customer walking in with a similar job who tried to SAVE MONEY and wound up with an off center hole---sometimes (USUALLY) WAY off center. That normally results in a bill 3 times (or more) what it WOULD have been if they would have left it alone in the first place.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:18:11 PM
Registered-II

Greg,Many times I have been surprised at how easy a stuck bolt will come out which at first looked hopeless!Craig is right on this.Heat the boss to a dull red a time or two.Get a nut that will fit over the screw head.I like a mig welder with the heat turned up fairly high.You want a good weld here and the heat from the welding will help.When you put a socket on the nut,try to turn it back and forth easy just to get some movement.If it ever moves just a bit you've got it licked!If you should ring the nut off then you are no worse off and you can try plan B.I bet it comes out! Chip Watford
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21:27 PM
Registered-III

I have welded 6 or 7 nuts on broken off bolts --each time one would twist off, I welded another one on immediatly so the heat would continue to build up. It works, dont give up. As was said previously work it back and forth and as soon as you get movement soak it with penetrant.---Roland
Old 03-05-2005, 08:24:24 PM
Subscriber

Set screws are often hardened, and if you try to drill it the drill will wander off sideways, since the screw is harder than the piston. It will need to be done in a milling machine with a carbide end mill. If you are not trying to save the rod, cut it off short to give yourself room. An alternative would be to turn the piston sideways and drill the wrist pin out (if it is not hardened). That way the rod would not be in the way. In any case, it is NOT a job to do at home with a hand drill. Cry a little, and take it to a machine shop. If the first one quotes an outrageous price, try another. A little money spent now will save much grief later. Al Wait