Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Thermal siphon cooling

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1900 times

Old 03-06-2005, 12:15:49 AM
Subscriber

Default Thermal siphon cooling

I am plumbing the cooling system on my South Penn. I understand the thermal siphon system and know that the hot water returning to the tank from the engine must discharge into the tank below the water level in the tank or the siphon will not work. My question is, must the pipe from the engine back to the tank run uphill or could it lay level or possibly drop down a little?
Thanks Jim Hunter
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 12:22:28 AM
Administrator

Thanked 9,008 Times in 1,480 Posts
Default Re: Thermal siphon cooling

This was one of our feature articles a while back. Your answer may be here. If not, maybe someone will pitch in.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...t=thermosiphon
Old 03-06-2005, 12:36:28 AM

Thanked 17,705 Times in 5,300 Posts

A 10-20 Titan uses thermosyphon cooling and discharges ABOVE the water level...WAY above, in fact, so they'll run hot for burning kerosene. If you want a continuous flow it will have to discharge below the water line.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:43:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,582 Times in 939 Posts

Assuming you are talking about a non-percolating system, my view is that there are two crucial things: First, as you say, the hot water pipe from top of the engine to the top of the tank must be submerged below the water level of the tank. Second, this line must pitch uphill from the engine to the tank. Hot water is lighter than cold, and must be allowed to go up.

I can't see what difference the pitch of the lower line (uphill, downhill, or level) would make. To use the full capacity of your cooling tank, it does need to connect to the tank near the bottom, rather than part way up the side.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:51:48 AM
Sponsor

the the hot water returning to the tank from the engine does not have to discharge below the water level in the tank . But you can if you want to. the water level in the tank must be higher than the cylinder that you are cooling. The pipe from the engine back to the tank can run uphill or it could lay level or drop down a little. Hot water rises so as the engine produces heat the water will start to rise. The water has to almost boil to move if you outlet is above the water level. If your outlet is below the water level the water will move at a lower temperature. Bob Ronning
P.S. now what was that about making tea?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:30:47 AM
Subscriber

I think that since I will never really "work" this engine the hotter operating temp won't be needed. Maybe if the pipe is below the water level in tank the constant flow of water will actually keep the engine cooler longer?? I'm new to this addiction,can these engines overheat and ruin something or is it ok to have almost boiling hot coolant for several hours on end? After reading these excellent posts and thinking on it I think that maybe if my return pipe runs downhill a bit I could get an air pocket in it and that may interrupt the constant flow????
Thanks again for all the help! Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50:28 AM
Registered-III

Personally, I like the "full" thermo-syphon system for gas and gasoline engines. A kerosene or semi-deisle engine might do better with the "semi" thermo-syphon or percolater system, which allows a quick warm up and higher running temperature without any need of a thermostat With a full thermo-syphon, you need the water level about 7" or more above your outlet pipe, and it is a good idea to have the outlet pipe slope slightly upward toward the tank. You don't want any air traps or downsloping sections in the outlet pipe. The best system for any engine is one with a small circulating pump, since this will allow a uniform cylinder temperature. Both the percolator system and the thermo-syphon system will allow the bottom of the cylinder on a horizontal engine to remain cold for a long time while the upper part of the cylinder is hot. Eventually, the water entering the cylinder from the tank will get warm, but there is always a temperature gradient from bottom to top. A smaller tank can reduce this problem. With a circulating pump, the water and the engine warm up much more evenly. Gas and gasoline engines ideally need to run about 180 to 200 degrees. Kerosene or semi-deisles need to run about 200 to 210, and they need to warm up quickly and evenly.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:18:14 PM
Registered-III

I agree with Bob Ronning.An elderly pumper told me that as long as the outlet pipe is about 6" above the cylinder, its doesn't hurt for the water to boil as this is what makes it circulate. I have a slight rise on mine and an ell pointing down on the end. This keeps the water from purculating into someones face. I set one up with about a 2' pipe out of the cylinder and a inverted mesh screen cone over the tank. I liked it as you can see if the water is circulating.