Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

any stover experts out there

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1265 times

Old 03-06-2005, 10:19:34 AM
Alan in KY

Default any stover experts out there

according to power of the past # 3 stover started production of the k a series at serial no 145760. yet my engine is no. ka145703 1.5 h.p. with disc hole flywheelsi know that my crank and flywheels could have ben changed through the yrs explaing the disc hole flywheels on my engine when it maybe should have spokes but why is my sre. no lower than when production is supposed to have started are the records wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 02:49:30 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: any stover experts out there

Although I applaud Mr. Wendel for his great efforts in gathering information and putting it into book form for all of us to enjoy, I must say that there are, in fact, many cases of misinformation in his books. No one can be an expert on EVERYTHING, and Mr. Wendel has been a HUGE asset to this hobby. Unfortunately, many people seem to take the information in his books as being "gospel" and they assume that because the information is in one of his books that there is no disputing what he has written. Myself and others have proven his information wrong on many occasions. He has done a tremendous amount of research and has put countless hours of time into sorting out all of the information. We all owe him thanks for what he has done, and we also need to remember that no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. Also, although he gathered up all of this information, you must remember that the company that did the typesetting could have made mistakes too.
The very early KA engines did, in fact, use spoked flywheels instead of the ones with the round holes. The first KA engines not only had the spoked flywheels, but they used Webster magnetos as well. When the switch was made to using the round hole flywheels, Stover continued to use the late style Webster magnetos until the Wico EK magnetos came out.
The only explanation I can give regarding your engine having an earlier serial number than the one in Mr. Wendel's book is that either he made a mistake in his book, or the typesetter entered the incorrect serial number while setting up the book.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:01:30 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: any stover experts out there

I agree with ironman Wendel has done a great job but he can only put in what he has been presented with.You must remember that these company's went out of business years ago and alot of the original data had been lost or destroyed and the gaps have been filled in but these may not be correct.all the same we do find mistakes and these should be passed on especially if Wendel does up date his byb.