Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

rust removal instructions?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1431 times

Old 03-08-2005, 12:59:19 AM
Sky

Exclamation rust removal instructions?

could i get some simple what do you call it? electroalisis instructions for removing rust, i want to know how you set this operation up with a battery and such, what is needed to do this? i hope it's something simple cuz i dont have anyway to get creative with this, such as finding special things and machining.

Thanks for the help!

Sky

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40:48 AM
Registered 0

Default Re: rust removal instructions?

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1695
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13:15 AM
Subscriber

It's possible to provide the basics of electrolysis in a short paragraph; but, I found out early on that when given only the bare essentials many people make mistakes and wind up being disappointed in the process.

So, I prepared a handout to go along with my electrolysis demonstrations. It's not Web friendly, but if you go to the Web page linked here, you can print it out for yourself and find out what I've learned in close to a decade of experience with the process.

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/rustdemo/rustdemo.htm

Orrin
Old 03-08-2005, 01:55:01 PM
Sky

would this work for rusty gas tanks too?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51:17 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar King
Not on the inside !!!!

Jim
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15:29 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar King
Yes, if done properly, it will work on gasoline tanks.

This is covered in my handout. If you read it many of your questions will probably be answered.

Orrin
Old 03-09-2005, 01:51:11 AM
Sky

Thanks for the help and info guys!
Doing these rusty jobs will rilly make it easier on me now.......i hope!

Thanks again Guy's.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:44:12 AM
Registered-III

Several years ago I purchased a small 5 hp Honda powered pressure washer for about $399.00. I think it's about 2300 lbs/p/sq/inch at about 2.5 or 3 gallon per min.

At about the same time I went to the Tulare Ag Show and saw someone demo a larger pressure washer with a sand blasting attachment.

Upon my return home I sent away to Northern Tools for a sand blasting attachment that cost about $60.00, even though it called for a slightly higher pressure and larger volumn pressure washer.

It has worked great although I have to use somewhat fine silica and ocassionally have to move the pick up tube in the 5 gal bucket of sand to keep it working well.

It not only works well but it keeps the dust down and minimizes the protective clothing I need to use it. I use eye protection and handle it with respect. I just take the thing I have to blast out on the lawn over a piece of old plywood and blast away. The sand and debris just sink into the lawn. I have plenty of lawn to move around on so there is no cleanup.

I had previously purchased a pressure tank type sand blaster and only used it once. I will never use it again as it was a very unpleasant experience and I had to stop often to wait for my 5 hp electric compressor to catch up.

Last summer I rebuilt a small boat trailer that had been damaged by salt water and after replacing the axel and springs I blasted the hole thing down to bare metal and good paint in about 30 minutes. I would estimate that a 1 1/2 hp hit and miss engine would take less that 1/2 hour to take down to bare iron.

I have several such engines that I will do this to this summer. I will take precautions on the bearing surfaces and the bore and remove any brass or soft parts prior to blasting of course

The process is so clean that the man demonstrating the larger washer and sand blaster at the Ag Show did so right there with people passing by just a few feet away. He used a face shield only and had on his street cloths. I didn't notice if he had on boots or not but he convinced me that sand blasting didn't have to be so disagreeable.

I intend to use this method of rust removal on many of my future projects

Dick