Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Oiler operation

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1612 times

Old 03-10-2005, 07:58:55 AM
Subscriber

Default Oiler operation

I have acquired an oiler for my oilfield engine. I want to use it for on the top of the cylinder-piston. It is a American Lub'R Co Detroit. It is a quart size. I understand the drip side adjustments but at the bottom of the jug and horizontal to the drop tube is a needle valve knob. What is this and how do I adjust it? Also will this oiler work on piston as I realize there is back pressure?
Seems like I have seen them on oilfields before...
Thanks to Harry for site and everyone for helping this rookie OAF! Jim Hunter
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2005, 09:55:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts
Default Re: Oiler operation

I believe thse were made in two styles. With and without checkballs. You need a checkball within the base of the oiler. If not, I would be interested tom hear if an oiler could be machined to take a check ball? Are there any tricks such as using a fuel line checkball. Might be able to pressfit a 1/4 in fuel line check into a pipe nipple (after some careful turing on a lathe)?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:20:32 AM
Subscriber

I checked and mine does have the check ball!! Whew! Now what does the needle valve at the bottom do and how do I adjust it?
Thanks Jim Hunter
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25:45 AM
Subscriber

I am not sure what it is for I think it is only a shut off valve. I leave mine wide open and only use the drip on side of oiler. I would suppose it may have been used to reduce back pressure. Remember the bottom valve needs to be open otherwise you wont get any oil to the cylinder. Keven