Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

playing with fuel

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3079 times

Old 03-15-2005, 10:22:49 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: playing with fuel

Do not use pipe for a hot tube they can explode you need a tube made out of one piece of material. Some originals were nickle they can be made out of stainless or mild steel. Even then it is not suggested to look a hot tube that is heated for fear of rupturing. But please DO NOT USE PIPE!!!!!!!!!! you are asking for trouble. Keven
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06:57 AM
C Pratt

You guys best go to the Offes web site and read up on hot tubes before you get hurt. They can blow out! You never run one without a chimney & never look at one without a mirror.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46:41 PM
Sky

Lightbulb Re: playing with fuel

hay, you know what,....im just saying WHAT IF,..one was going to buy a old z model briggs to experiment with for instance, mill the head out or add head gaskets to the engine and make a combustion chamber like a diesle, put it togeather, add a little deisle fuel and see if it runs! and block the spark plug hole off with a plug of some sort, like a metal oil plug, a big enough one to thred into the spark plug hole. the reason i say this is becouse i've noticed when sometimes i check compression on an engine, the piston comes up for compression, it does get a little warm becouse of the compression of air and such gets compressed togeather., but it doesnt get hot or no were near hot though for a explosion, thus the reason you'd have to modify the head a little i would think, i dont have tools and such to do this but if i did, and if it ran, i would call it the Z Deisle..
if anyone rilly tryes something like this, let me know!,...i think this would be a fun summer project or something to do when your bored,....corse the down side of it is, if your not succesful in doing this, well, there goes the head cuz its ruined from machining,...second thought,....would this work at all?...i mean, instead of injectors it would have a carb and the intake valve would maybee act like an injector for a deisle?.......well, im not the smartest thing on 2 wheels but,...just a thought...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21:51 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: playing with fuel

Hot tubes of various sizes can be had from Burns and Horner - the one they make for their larger Reid engine model should work fine in the B&S engines
Andrew
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46:15 PM
Registered-III

I believe a diesel injects the fuel when the piston is near the top of the compression stroke and this is how it is timed. It only pulls air in the intake valve. If the fuel were in the cylinder when the piston came up on compression the fuel would ignite too early and the engine would only kick back.