Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

aeromotor 8 cycle

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1887 times

Old 03-15-2005, 11:50:33 PM
Registered-I

Default aeromotor 8 cycle

Can someone tell me how to time a 8cycle Aeromotor? Also any tips on any of the other adjustments would help Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2005, 12:14:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: aeromotor 8 cycle

Pretty much you will time it like you would a four cycle engine. You will want the engine to fire at top dead center ( or a bit before or after depending on your choice) and you will want the exhaust to start to open just before bottom dead center on the power stroke. When I timed mine for the first time I set the cam for the exhaust first and then worked on adjusting the firing of the ignitor from that point. Use this as a starting point. After I got it basicly like I thought it should be then I started to adjust the trip and the exhaust rocker to suit me. Took about a half an hour of tinkering but I finally got it and it ran just fine from then on. Don't know if there were any timing marks on the gears as one time but there were none on mine when I got it but it did sit either under water or dirt for a very very long time.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Dave:

Near as I can remember, there are two teeth on the cam gear that have chamfered ends and one tooth on the crankshaft gear that has it's end chamfered. Put them into mesh so the crankshaft gear chamfer is between the two cam gear chamfers and you should be in business.

After setting the ignitor (mag) into time, you do have to fine-tune the exhaust timing by adjusting the valve lash.

Aermotor 8-cycle engines are so crude they're neat!

Check out the link below for pictures of the Aermotor I restored last winter.

Good luck and take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand/A.../aermotor.html
Old 03-16-2005, 11:47:23 AM
Subscriber

When i restored my Aermotor the cam gear had 2 punch marks on the outer side of 2 teeth. The crankshaft gear had one punch mark that went between the 2 teeth. I have the battery and coil setup so i just put the taper pins in the rockerarm and adjusted the ignitor trip to fire a little before tdc and then adjusted the rocker arm tappet to open at bdc. It runs really nice and I always get asked if its supposed to look like that or is it missing parts. Just made up the walking beam setup for the pump this winter so Ill be pumping water at the shows this year!! Here's my Aermotor. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4108693

Frank Y
P.S. is yours the flyball governor or does it have the ball weight in the flywheel?