Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

New page up - failure to reciprocate

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2290 times

Old 03-16-2005, 06:56:35 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up New page up - failure to reciprocate

If anyone would like to take credit..... or the blame for any of these mechanical disasters , please step forward or forever remain anonymous .

If anyone has any photos to add , send them my way .

And if again .....anybody has any idea what that guy was running in the AC system at the bottom of the page , I gotta know . Looks like Tannerite to me !

What we got here ......Is failure to reciprocate go on....... click it
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,798 Times in 193 Posts
Default Re: New page up - failure to reciprocate

Chuck

The broken famous photos are from my show report from the Canandaigua 2001 show.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/sba...daigua2001.htm

Feel free to use them.

Steve

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 03-16-2005, 07:52:23 PM
Registered-III

Propane is a poor boy replacment for F-12 freon but it has one little problem...BOOM. Bob
Old 03-16-2005, 07:55:09 PM
Subscriber

I've heard of people using ammonia for refrigerant. I don't think it would do that though... I guess I've never heard of CHAUFFEUR's Thumb, I'm just a young'un.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:41:58 PM
Registered-III

Unhappy Re: New page up - failure to reciprocate

You sure know how to make a grown man cry. You just never know if you're not careful. Dick
Old 03-16-2005, 08:54:15 PM
Registered-II

You have to watch copyrights these days.

Make sure you have permission to use all of those photos or you could be in hot water! (if any of them were not taken or scanned by you)
Old 03-16-2005, 11:08:00 PM
Registered-III

Looks like boring and sleeving some old engines needs to be done carefully, if at all.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Steve , I got 1,000's of these things and theres no telling where they all came from so I figure I better float some balloons and see who pops up . I should have known the ones in focus were from the original motopaparazzi himself . Fortunately thats all the modern grenades Ive got photos of .

If you bore it from the top down and leave a ledge to press the sleeve into this cant happen .
Old 03-17-2005, 12:15:16 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimntih
I've heard of people using ammonia for refrigerant. I don't think it would do that though... I guess I've never heard of CHAUFFEUR's Thumb, I'm just a young'un.

The hand on the left is belongs to a customer Mr "M" he earned it cranking a 2 cylinder air cooled auto-mobile . We went over buzzcoils , timers , oilers , fabbing and faking it . But we never got to the part about not spinning the crank handle like a telephone mag . I can only presume Mr Iskenderian was cranking something really cool when he bashed his thumb . but it was probly just an old hammer .
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,798 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerogas
I should have known the ones in focus were from the original motopaparazzi himself .
Chuck

Thanks for the new title ....where does the $$$come from. Do I hae to get my costume of a tree out to hide behind now at shows??? Down Fido....

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50:38 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barr
Chuck

Thanks for the new title ....where does the $$$come from.
When you get live film of something big going off . Momma and I were pondering last night if anyone had the forethought to put a 24 hour cam on the Tower of Pisa . That will be worth some bread !

thanks guys
Chuck
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41:29 PM
Registered-III

Funny, I have been wondering if, say, an exhaust valve did not open on an engine, what would happen... knew it would not be good but never thought it could blow an engine apart. WOW

Mac Leod
Old 03-17-2005, 08:26:18 PM
Sky

you know......one of those flywheel explosions or what ever happened reminds me of an old silvester and tweety cartoon i use to watch, when the cat chased after the bird and silvester fell off the tree, tweety said,
ooohhhh......putty tat fall and go BOOM!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:27:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,323 Times in 932 Posts

I don't think an exhaust valve not opening would cause much if any damage. My Bartram governs by not opening the exhaust valve and a few other engines govern this way as well. It makes for a smooth running hit and miss engine.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:12:35 PM
Registered-III

I realized that afterwards...oh well, I am sure every one know what I meant...pressure not being able to escape. (Can you say Brain fart? )

Mac Leod
Old 03-17-2005, 11:48:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,053 Posts

Looks like somebody must have charged the system with propane (or a propane product) w/o evacuating the air...there would have to be oxygen present w/the refrigerant to cause something like that. Even R134 is flammable in the right mixture w/air. Whatever happened, I'm glad I wasn't there...
Old 03-18-2005, 01:21:10 AM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimntih
Ammonia was THE industrial refrigerant years ago. Gaseous Ammonia is deadly! My Grandpa was THE buttermaker at the Creamery here in Rosholt in the 30's. He was ALSO quite a mechanic..brilliant actually...and there was a leak in the cooling system somewhere...THIS part is NOT brilliant...he traced the system using his NOSE and he FOUND it. Almost killed him....
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,053 Posts

I've seen a few Diesel engines w/a broken exhaust pushrod or rocker arm, & strangely enough, they make a POP from the intake! The exhaust, not being able to get away, blows back into the intake manifold when the intake opens. Makes an engine sound really sick...the next cyl. to fire has to ingest a dose of Diesel smoke...this is a situation you don't want to let go on for a long time.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:48:12 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 3,027 Posts
Exclamation Re: New page up - failure to reciprocate

Before the automotive industry came out with R-134, there was a replacement product that was made of Isobutane and Isopropane 25/75 mix I believe. We received a warning thru our fire department, about encountering this stuff during a car fire. A standard charge of 2 pounds of this stuff had the equivalent of 5 sticks of Dynamite. Heated by a fire, this standard charge doubled its explosive power, and was subject to spontanoius ignition. This meant if you heat it enough, it went BOOM with out help from the outside!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:10:16 AM
Subscriber

I have run and will run many large industrial refrigeration systems that use ammonia. It is great stuff. A little whiff will irritate you and that's all. That doesn't mean it's good for you but a whiff won't kill you, period. I use my nose to know there is a leak but you pinpoint it by using a "sulpher stick" which is like a sulpher impregnated punk that you ignite so it has a glowing coal.. When the off-gas from the stick rises and encounters NH-3 (ammonia) it becomes very smokey, allowing you to find the leak.

Liquid ammonia is not to be trifled with as it will cause painful chemical burns, even in minute quantities and many times it is confined under high pressure (100-200p.s.i. approx.).

Here's a funny and interesting tidbit: Me and a pal who's also reefer capable were discussing how we clean our hands. He said that he used Boraxo but found that adding one drop of Joy liquid dishsoap increased the cleaning power a lot. I tried it, found that it worked but that it also liberated a tiny bit of ammonia gas (that's may be why it worked so well).

Not long after, I was managing a large ship refit project and told some of the guy's about this tip. This was on a large fish processing vessel that had an ammonia system to refrigerate the cargo holds. Lunch time came and the guy's qued up at the handwash sink. One of them tried the "trick", a teensy smell of ammonia ensued and most of them ran off in near-panic.

They calmed down after a little lecture on ammonia and it's hazzards and it's useful properties. I also have stories of dangerous episodes, but not in over 25 years have I or any of my charges been hurt significantly, but one MUST know what they are doing.

Incidently, while Joy and Boraxo will liberate a whiff of NH-3, not all brands will do this.

On another note- failure of an exhaust valve to open can be a lot more dangerous than some apparently think. I've seen the results of this on a few occassions and twice it lead to broken intake rockers and multi-pound chunks of steel flying between men and tearing holes in steel plate. By chance, nobody got hurt. That's another story about how to properly bend "cotter" or split pins and why the old-time engines had cylinder pressure relief valves. Thanks for listening !