Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Steel or Concrete Base for Stationary Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2036 times

Old 03-18-2005, 06:44:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,582 Times in 939 Posts
Default Steel or Concrete Base for Stationary Engine

I want to install a 17 HP Ruston in a small building. I had been thinking of mounting it directly to a concrete foundation - built up off the floor about about a foot, so the flywheels clear the floor. Now, I'm having second thoughts. The problem I see is that if I pour a dedicated concrete foundation, I'm pretty much stuck if I ever want to remove that engine and install a different engine. It might not fit, and the bolt holes surely wouldn't be in the right places.

So, would a steel 'undercarriage' beneath the engine be a better way to go? It'd be a steel weldment, made of, say 12" channel. The engine would bolt to it, and then the undercarriage would bolt to nuts embedded in the concrete slab/foundation. That way, the engine could be removed, and a different or modified undercarriage built.

Might not look as nice as the raised concrete foundation I see in the old photos of these installations, but it seems more versatile. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 07:30:58 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Steel or Concrete Base for Stationary Engine

I would put it up on some big wood timbers. Sitting on a concrete floor, the steel would like to bounce and the wood would take some of the shock.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:02:44 PM
Registered-II

make it out of steel cover it with plywood and put fake brick over that
Old 03-18-2005, 11:41:39 PM
Subscriber

Hi, I mounted my CR on channel iron. I have the iron long enough to have the muffler pot behind the flywheels and the air tank mounted in front of the air valve. I did it to be able to load it on my car trailer and show it. Just be careful not to load it up with fuel as they will run away on you and the only way you can stop them is hold the exhaust valve open with the rocker arm.
Kevin
Old 03-19-2005, 02:33:16 AM
Registered-II

heres cy and cr rustons on steel bases for easy loading we built the cy base first and the ends give some trouble so we welded angles on the ends of the base we built for the cr makes it real easy to move around for an engine its size. we have 2" wood between the base and engine bed on the cr and it eliminates some noise when its running as compared to the cy wich has the bed bolted directly to the base. maybe when we build a 3rd base for the robson we'll have it perfected. the 17-19 hp fairbanks is on wood timbers and it always seems to wobble
Attached Thumbnails
ruston cy 003 resized.jpg   cr ruston resize.jpg