Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Magnet charger

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4507 times

Old 03-18-2005, 09:25:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Magnet charger

I have been given a magnet charger. It has two large coils that are to be connected to a battery. I need some instructions on how to operate it. I want to charge the horseshoe magnet from a webster mag. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 01:10:13 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 3,024 Posts
Exclamation Re: Magnet charger

First, you need to know the voltage of the DC supply. Next is the polarity - which wire is the battery positive hooked to? Third, you need to find the magnetic north pole on the charger.
If these items are not known, try the following, you will need 2 people for this: have one person attach the positive terminal (+) of a 12 volt auto battery to the charger. Put some red paint on the chosen wire, on the charger, so that the same connection is used in the future. Connect wire to the ground (-) on the battery. Connect a second wire to the charger, and make sure it is black in color. Next obtain a magnetic compass. Hold it about 2 feet from one pole on the charger, at about the same height as the top of the pole. Have your partner make contact with the ground wires, momentarily, and note which pole of the compass is attracted to the charger pole. Go to the opposite side of the charger and repeat. On one side, the north pole should be attracted, and the other, the south. DO NOT get too close to the charger, or you may repolarize the compass magnet. Once you have noted the pole attractions, mark the charger poles. NOTE - A battery releases both hydrogen and oxygen, when charging and discharging, as well as some sulfuric acid fumes. DO NOT make bettery final connections at the battery, other wise you may be in a world of hurt if the battery blows up! The pole that attracted the south pole of the compass, is actually the north pole of the charger. I have this pole painted black on my charger. The south pole is then painted red. Make sure to make the opposite poles make contact when charging magnets. North pole of magnet to be charged to south pole of charger. Hopefully, you have not removed the magnet from the mag base, have you? It must be installed the same direction it came off, or the charge will be rapidly lost. It is best to charge these magnets on the mag, for maximum performance. If the magnet has been removed, the following procedure can be used: Tie a clothes line around the horse shoe magnet, centered as best you can, at the high point of the arch on the magnet. Suspend the magnet about 2 feet above the charger, and apply battery power. Slowly lower the magnet, until it aligns itself with the charger polarity, no closer! Disconnect battery, and mark the polarity on the magnet (I use nail polish). If you allow the magnet charger to collect in the magnet, (pull the magnet onto the charger surfaces, from a distance) the impact may be severe enough to break the magnet, so be careful. After polarity is confirmed, place the magnet on the charger, and apply power. Sharply rap the magnet on all sides with a small brass hammer (NOT STEEL), Then disconnect power. Repeat this several times, The rapping with the hammer assists with the alignment of the magnet's magnetic field. An aluminum one will work as well, but brass is prefered. Obtain some soft iron bar scrap from your local junk yard, and make a piece, 1 inch wide, 2 inches longer than the spread of the magnet, and at least 1/4" thick. Place this bar accross the arms of the magnet, at the base, and remove the magnet from the charger. This acts as a keeper. As you install the magnet om the magneto, allow the mag core to displace the keepeer, until the magnet is installed fully, then remove the keeper. If you lift a horse shoe magnet off the charger, or remove it from the magneto without a keeper, the magnet will lose approximately 60% of its magnetic field - permanantly within seconds! USE THE KEEPER! As a final note, nested magnets must be charged as an assembly. If they are charged individually, and they do not all recieve the same charge, the differences will cause magnet field loss for all the magnets.
Andrew
Old 03-20-2005, 10:11:49 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Magnet charger

Very good info Andrew. I learned some things!
I told my brother once that his B John Deere mag needed charged. A local old timer told him that just hitting the magnets with a hammer would charge them. I think he forgot, "the rest of the story."
Thanks again, Kevin
Old 03-20-2005, 04:25:39 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: Magnet charger

One thing that you have to be careful about is making sure about which is North and South pole. When you take your compass and hold it to the charger turned on, the compass is pointing at the magnet charger pole that it actually is. It is a North Pole Seeking Needle. If you say that the needle is pointing North and the pole is actually South, that is like saying if you are in the woods hunting and you are lost. You get out your compass and the needle points North, and you go in that direction which you think is South because oppisites attract , you wont know where the hell you will end up. So remember when the compass points to the North pole on the charger that is the Notrh pole. Ask anyone that knows anything about charging magnets!
Old 03-20-2005, 10:27:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 3,024 Posts
Exclamation Re: Magnet charger

I hope I did not confuse people with my definition fo finding the north pole on the magnet charger, you are quite correct about the compass needle, that is , that the north pole of the compass is actually the south pole of a magnet. The directions are correct though - the north pole of the compass points to the north pole on the charger. When placing your magnet on the charger, the south pole of the magnet goes on the north pole of the charger.
Andrew