Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Stover Engine Color

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2279 times

Old 03-20-2005, 12:50:12 PM
Subscriber

Question Stover Engine Color

Does anyone know if Stover used the same color green on all their engines and equiptment? I found some original green paint on the bottom of a bearing block on a Stover feed mill I'm working on and would like to know if the engines were painted the same color. I have an older 8hp and a CT 2 I'm restoring and would like to paint them as close to original as I can.
Thanks in advance.
Thank you Harry!
Lou
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 06:57:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Stover Engine Color

When these engines were built, green was green...red was red, etc. The companies that mass produced them bought the paint from the lowest bidder. Sure they tried to stay as close to the correct shade as possible, but that was NOT always the case. The smaller companies were probably a little more picky about the corrcet color/shade. Just go with what original paint you find & if you don't find any, go with your own gut feelings. I have seen SO MANY variences of original colors on these engines, it isn't funny! The Sta-Rite engines, are a good example...everyone that has one, says "it's the original color" & I don't think I've seen 2, exactly alike. Even the Fuller & Johnson engines varied in shades of green...some were even painted black! I have a stover feed grinder & it is green. My 1912 4hp Stover T, is red. The colors of your Stover engines, depend on the serial numbers. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by Ackman; 03-20-2005 at 07:04:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:16:20 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,667 Times in 3,023 Posts
Smile Re: Stover Engine Color

I owned a 2 HP KA stover that was mounted in a REX cement mixer. It was built in 1928, and was paintedred from the factory! The lettering on the flywheels was the only item painted a dark green.
Andrew
Old 03-21-2005, 09:54:04 PM
Matthew Arold

Default Re: Stover Engine Color

I have 3 Stovers with original paint and only 2 were the same color. My 2hp KA was dark greenish black with red and Gold pinstriping along with my CT-3 (minus the pinstriping), and my CT-1 in a cement mixer was just a regular lighter flat green.