Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

stuck brass piston on virticle water pump

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1846 times

Old 03-21-2005, 02:59:10 PM
Registered

Unhappy stuck brass piston on virticle water pump

I have a gould 3 piston water pump in which the brass pistons are seized. They slide over a sleeve which creates the suction and pressure depending upon the stroke. Can any one help with a method of freeing these. Please! thank you, wayne
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 11:34:40 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: stuck brass piston on virticle water pump

Wayne, If it were mine the only thing I could think of would be electrolysis and heat. The electrolysis won't hurt the brass from what I've heard, but it should remove any rust from the cast. Then you could put it in an oven to evenly heat it and then spray if full of your favorite PB Blaster. A few cycles of that ought to get some lubrication to those pistons. I've not seen one, so I assume it's a compact, tight fit on your pump. Vibration would help too. Maybe you could wrap it in a thick layer of inner tube and then give it a good vibrating with a muffler gun. (impact chisel/hammer) They make big, blunt hammer tips to use in them. Take your time, you'll get it. Kevin
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28:22 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: stuck brass piston on virticle water pump

If you can get all the oil off of it, soaking in 10% pickling vinegar as a first step might help free it. Oil will protect the rust from the vinegar.