Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Need help with Stover CT-3/Wico EK

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1310 times

Old 03-22-2005, 04:47:48 PM
Registered

Question Need help with Stover CT-3/Wico EK

I am helping a friend with a CT-3. The WICO EK mag will show a nice blue spark at the plug when the rocker arm is tripped with a screwdriver. I place the end of a long screwdriver on the cyl head, bring it behind the rocker arm of the mag and use it as a lever to trip the mag. The spark is fine. If I turn the flywheel and let the trip finger on the push rod trip the mag I get no spark at all. I can't understand what the difference is. Could there be an issue with grounding or not grounding the mag? Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Roland
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 08:15:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,018 Times in 1,482 Posts
Default Re: Need help with Stover CT-3/Wico EK

I received this email note from Bob Weinhardt on Monday, March 14, 2005.

In your article on the Witte engine you mentioned getting a weak spark from the Wico mag. I've got a nearly identical Witte and had weak or erratic spark output from it at first. I tested the coils, checked the capacitor and tried re-magnitizing. Finally I used an ignition scope and discovered the problem. The lower contact that's supposed the be the connection to ground when it's closed, has no reliable connection to ground. It slides in an oiled tube and has only moving contact with the linkage that pulls it down. Adding a small, flexable, braided ground wire, soldered to the bottom of the slide and connected to a good electrical ground under the magneto cured the whole problem. Did the same thing on several others and got a good, hot spark from all of them.

http://www.old-engine.com/maghma.htm
Old 03-22-2005, 08:31:48 PM
Registered-III

One reason that the mag won't give a good spark could be that the spring on the square, mag trip lever may need to be replaced, it is important that this spring is working properly since the spring is compressed as the lever moves forward. Another thing could be in the adjustment of the trip lever. It may be that the lever is not moving forward enough. Another problem sometimes is that the return spring that resets the magneto is too strong thereby causing the mag to Trip too slow. Hope something I said will help a little. Good luck in a good hobby, Joe Morris
Old 03-22-2005, 08:53:34 PM
Subscriber

A friend recently bought a KA Stover that had been stored about 10 years as a piece of furniture in a guys living room and he had the same situation and after talking him through the ignition sequence over the phone I realized the return mechanism was gummed up and not allowing the bottom part to seat against the magnets. A little working it and some WD40 and away it went!!! Boy was he a happy camper, I could hear him smiling through the phone when the lil Stover popped for the first time for him.

Denny
Old 03-22-2005, 10:01:59 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
...the spring on the square,mag trip lever... it is important that this spring is working properly since the spring is compressed as the lever moves forward.
The square mag trip finger that Joe mentions should be able to be pushed in (compressing its spring) around 1/4" with hard finger pressure- when working properly. What I found on my (formerly!) dead-spark EK was that the long bolt that is inside this spring had come unscrewed, preventing the spring from ever compressing. If this spring doesn't compress, there's no way you can turn the engine over fast enough to trip the mag fast enough to produce a spark.

I have photos showing this particular problem and also the correct/fixed operation on my Taylor web page: http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/

-Rick
Old 03-22-2005, 10:37:18 PM
Registered-III

Once I had my jaeger almost ready to run I turned it over to see if the mag would spark, no...when off the engine or triped by hand it would shoot a noce spark, the trip finger had rusted so as the engine turned over it would simply open the armiture slowly, not with the snap it should have... (am I just repeating somthing that has been said already??? )

Oh well.

Mac Leod
Old 03-23-2005, 03:56:55 AM
Registered-III

Just a reminder to not overlook the obvious. Are you sure the points are opening when the mag is tripped on the engine?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for all your replies and advice. It sounds like our problem is within the trip finger and spring. I don't recall any movement in that latch mechanism. I'll go over and work on it some Saturday. Rick I , thanks for the photos of your engine. They definitely helped me to understand how the trip finger comes apart and what to look for.

Thanks again to all!
Roland