Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Buzz saw

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1855 times

Old 03-24-2005, 11:54:15 AM
Registered-II

Default Buzz saw

I just brought home a old home made saw rig powered by a 1924 Maxwell car engine. am needing the gear box that bolts to the timing cover that the distributer fits into. The dist. and bad gear box have Remy cast into the potmetal bodys. Anyone know of a source? Thank you. Jerry Willis
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2005, 12:08:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: Buzz saw

Jerry:

Is the distributor for the Maxwell engine mounted on the back end of the generator? A few decades ago, I had a 1928 Whippet car (made by Willys/Overland) that had the pot metal right-angle gear housing bolted to the end of timing-chain driven generator.

After a little running, the engine jumped time and in trying to loosen the clamp bolt to the distributor, the housing disintegrated and broke off the generator.

I ended up removing all the pieces of the old housing and gluing them back together. I took it to a local aluminum foundry and they used it as a pattern to cast a new housing.

The hard part was getting it set-up for machining so the gear engagement was right. Once done and put back on the car, I had no more trouble with it.

Now, the question is, "do you have the pieces of the old housing?" If not, you might try contacting the Maxwell club to see if anyone has made up new ones.

If all else fails and the gear ratio is 1:1 and there is enough room to mount the distributor straight back from the end of the generator, just remove the gears, make a suitable mounting bracket for the distributor and use a piece of something like heater hose as a flexible joint. That's the jackleg way!

Good luck and take care - Elden
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21:10 PM
Subscriber

Jerry,
Have you got a photo of your new buzz saw? Coincidentally, I have a buzz saw with a 4 cyl Maxwell engine as well! Sorry, no spare parts though. It will really saw wood! I'll see if I can get a photo scanned.
Dale
Old 03-26-2005, 10:49:09 PM
Registered-II

thanks for the answers. I am taking a bit different route the old shaft and gear are ok going to make the body out of aluminum two pieces. Will leave enough slack in the piece the dist. fits in to get the gears meshed right. Will try to post some picts. Thanks again. Jerry
Old 03-27-2005, 11:21:29 AM
Registered-III

Jerry, It sounds like you are making it adjustable.

An old friend of mine used to say always make things precision and if you can't make them precision then make them adjustable. Well neither he or I were ever able to make anything precision so we always made things adjustable.

Good luck, Dick