Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Ottawa carburator

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1597 times

Old 03-24-2005, 01:58:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Ottawa carburator

I am in the process of restoring a 2hp. Ottawa. This engine was completely worn out, and I had to machine just about every moving part. Anyway, that being said, the carburetor has a valve inside that slides up when the engine intakes. This assembly, which operates like a check valve, has a disc that is mounted to the sliding valve, that is concentric with the carburetor throat. I need to know the proper diameter of the disk, in relation to the throat, and where it is mounted on the sliding valve. Can anyone who is familiar with this setup help?
Thanks!
Eric
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2005, 09:12:12 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Default Re: Ottawa carburator

Eric, were going to assume that you are discussing the 2 1/2HP Ottawa Logsaw engine C30154/and or any Ottawa using the brass mixer.

Most of these engines were designed to run wide open. The diameter of the said washer is approximately 3/4" and located approximately 3/4" from the needle point. The fuel is pulled up around the outside of this washer. The spring pressure must be sufficient to shut off the fuel supply but still allow the needle to be lifted on the intake. You may have to find a happy medium for the spring pressure depending on ring wear & condition of cylinder.

The fuel tank must be mounted higher than the mixer since this is a gravity fed mixer. The rod on the bottom of the mixer is to be pushed upward to lift the needle to allow fuel into the chamber prior to starting the engine.

We recommend installing a shut-off valve in the line to the mixer to prevent any fuel flow when the engine is jarred during transportation. This will also prevent extra wear & tear on the adjustable needle valve.......Helen

A breakdown of this mixer can be seen at:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...542&p=60332419

Copy & paste address if necessary!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:46:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanks, Helen! The pix you sent were my carb exactly. I didn't realize that there was a spring in there too, I just figured it was a gravity thing. All of the pieces to my carb had come loose, and were just flopping around in there. Everything was all beat to hell, and I had to machine everything new!
Thanks again for the info. Hopefully I will have this thing running by this summer.
By the way, do you have any paint numbers for this engine?
Thanks, Eric
Old 03-24-2005, 10:05:49 PM
In Memory Of Helen

We use Sherwin Williams Automotive Acrylic Enamel.

Green - JX9553

Ref - JX9282E

Both of these paints are quite expensive, the price of red has just increased by(not to) more than $15 a quart.

Since you are probably looking for green, a really good match that we use for minor touch-up is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Hunter Green Gloss 1938 which is in a rattle can. Careful, there are many shades of hunter green.....Helen
Old 03-25-2005, 11:46:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanks again, Helen! Do you have any decals, or the cast iron crank guard available for this engine (2 1/2 hp.) ????
Eric
Old 03-25-2005, 12:51:40 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schultz
Thanks again, Helen! Do you have any decals, or the cast iron crank guard available for this engine (2 1/2 hp.) ????
Eric
Eric, most Ottawa saw engines did not have crank guards. Are there holes on your engine that indicates it had a crank guard at some time?

You can reply via email. Just click on our name on the top of this message, the choose "Send email".......Helen