Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp Model ?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3056 times

Old 03-27-2005, 12:38:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp Model ?

Have bought a engine (not home yet) and am trying to learn a little more about it. It's suppose to be a Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp engine. According to the seller, there is no serial number to be found. I was hoping some of you in the know could tell me the Model and the "made about year" by looking at the
(hopefully) attached photo. Not sure what possesed me to buy it, but figured it would be a good excuse to clean my garage so I could fit it in there..... and it's only a two hour drive away..... and I think it was a fair deal being that it was suppose to have been restored 5 years ago.... not sure about the fancy paint job though! Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
fairbanksmorse1.5.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2005, 01:03:59 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 hp Model ?

looks like a headless Z?
these were built from early 1915 to late 1918, and the serial # should be on top of the hopper, I can see it in the photo.
A serial # list is available here:

http://www.edgeta.org/fmdates.htm

I know it's not correct, but I really like that color on there.
Repro gas tanks are available from some of the vendors on this site, I know Lee Peterson sells them.

Nice find and good luck with it.
Chad
Old 03-27-2005, 03:43:23 PM
Subscriber

Sure does look like a Fairbanks Morse headless.

The serial number was typically stamped into the raised boss on top of the hopper. I can clearly see the boss in your photo. Sometimes the stamping is a bit faint so it is good to not use aggressive tactics to remove the paint from the boss. I would think the number might yet be found.

A photo showing the timing gear side with the ignitor and ignitor trip rod could possibly clue in to whether it is an early or late style headless, although it is possible that the parts have been changed over the years.

If you can square away your ignitor and that Sumter No.12 magneto, that would enable you to remove what looks like a low tension induction coil strapped to the near-side of the skid. You shouldn't need it with a good mag and it is worth a couple bucks, as well.

Nice little engine, excepting the paint!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:01:08 PM
Registered-III

Thank you both for your answers. Looks like I need to study up on a Headless Z. The seller said that the mag was rebuilt, but never hooked up, and that the engine was ran on the low tension coil, that's strapped to the side. Hopefully all the linkage required to hook up the mag is still on the engine. I'm attaching a photo of the other side, but it's kind of dark. If anyone can make more observations from this photo, I'd be grateful.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:02:40 PM
Registered-III

Opps, for some reason the photo didn't attach. Will try again!
Attached Thumbnails
fairbanksmorsez.jpg  
Old 03-27-2005, 11:22:31 PM
Registered-I

most fairbanks morse engines also had the seriel # number stamped on the end of the crankshaft thru 1920. as for as the linkage for the mag. if the everything is there to trip the mag. the only that is needed is the mag gear timed and a wire from the mag. to the ignitor. good luck John
Old 03-27-2005, 11:57:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

As was posted before the serial no is on that boss on the water hopper. If you cant read it very good try using a piece of paper held on it and lightly run a pencil back and forth over it to transfer the no. to the paper. this works most of the time? BobRR