Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Horizontal Check Valves

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2072 times

Old 03-27-2005, 02:45:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Horizontal Check Valves

I just got a Lacrosse Plow Co. engine running (Sta-Rite), and had installed a new horizontal type check valve--like the type used on the Associated engines. After fooling with it for some time, we determined that the check ball was too heavy. It is a 7/16" dia. steel ball. I dug out an original Associated check and used a 5/16" ball in place of the original 3/8". That got the engine running, but I need to find several more valves for some other engines with small enough seats to use the smaller, lighter check balls. These are 1/4" ip size---anyone making 1/8" ip size ? I checked an old Small Parts Inc. catalog that has aluminum, teflon, etc. but the price each per individual ball is expensive for the precision ground balls. What are you guys using in these situations ? Thanks --Roland
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2005, 04:37:11 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Horizontal Check Valves

Roland, I don't know the possibilities in your town, but for steel balls in the most sizes I go to a bike repair shop and buy them by the piece. Prices are that way very low because I tell them a little dumb story about the hobby and the guy give me 5 or 10 balls for a $1
Old 03-27-2005, 04:58:19 PM
Registered-III

I,m sorry I did'nt make my post very clear. I have an assortment of brass and steel check balls on hand, the problem is in the size of the seat inside the fitting. The smaller balls drop right through the seat. I need a check valve assembly that will accept smaller, lighter balls than the 7/16" ball, and still make the seal on the seat. I am trying to slow down the RPMS, and thus have less suction to lift the heavier ball. Thanks for your reply --Roland
Old 03-27-2005, 07:41:40 PM
Registered-II

Roland,I looked in my Mcmaster-Carr catalog and while they had many check valves,I didn't see any that seemed to fit your needs.Could you braze up the seat and redrill a smaller hole and lap in a new seat?I have brazed a steel ball on to the end of a small rod and ground new seats in hard to reach places!Just a thought. Chip
Old 03-27-2005, 09:59:17 PM
Registered-III

Chip, That is probably the next step on the list if I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Thanks--Roland
Old 03-27-2005, 11:50:30 PM
Registered-III

Hello from Wisconsin!!! I have some brass check valves, 1/4 NPT, that have the word "hammond" cast on the side, Also try ESSEX BRASS CORP., Just a thought????
Old 03-28-2005, 12:05:10 PM
Registered-III

Roland,

I have read here on the Stak a suggestion that I thought was very good for making a good seat. Someone suggested that a seat be drilled into a brass seat and then a stainless ball bearing be dropped in and hammered with a drift punch into the brass seat. The stainless ball is much harder that the brass and will make a nice smooth seat.

If the stainless ball is damaged use another stainless ball as your ball.

Dick