Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Blown head gasket

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1966 times

Old 03-28-2005, 03:04:29 PM
Robert Bowlin

Post Blown head gasket

I just bought a 3hp Witte. I got it to hit a couple of times just a few hours after I got it home. But I soon blew the head gasket. So I ball peened a new one and it has only lasted a few days. I haven't really got the thing running for more than a few minutes total. what do you suggest? Head warped? Not tight enough head nuts? Better gasket? I did not use any sealants on gasket.Thanks for all replies and thanks Harry
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Blown head gasket

I would have the head and block checked for warpage. What material did you use for the gasket? Also, might try some , I think its called copperseal, it looks like spray paint, really good stuff.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:45:51 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

I usually use a thin coat of grease on the head gaskets of my engines. It helps when it comes time to take the head back off for any reason. If you have any major warpage I doubt it will help seal. Are you using the gray "high temp" gasket material? You may need to switch to the reinforced variety.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30:54 AM
Registered-I

Try using a gasket materal called Grafoil. Grafoil will seal almost anything, do not use any sealer with this gasket materal. The company I work for sells this type of head gasket for FM engines (118, 208, 346).
Old 03-29-2005, 08:33:07 AM
Robert Bowlin

I am using a gasket material that looks like cardboard. I got it from O'REILLY's an automotive parts store. It really puzzled the kid for me to ask for head gasket material and not give them a car model and year. I will use a straight edge to see if I can tell if it is warped and look for better gasket material. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:36:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,158 Times in 774 Posts

Sounds like you are using ordinary gasket paper... Not good for head gaskets. You can get some good stuff here.... One of Harrys sponcers. http://royalcrossfarm.com/essentials.htm I also have used some of the high temp stuff used for steamfitting with good results on Hit and Miss engines.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53:24 AM
Registered-II

I used some reinforced stuff that one of Harry's sponsers (Chuck Balyeat) sells. That stuff solved a blown head gasket problem on a Witte diesel-gen. Also look in an automotive book or bolt book to get the proper torque to tension the studs right.