Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Making engine shims.

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1398 times

Old 03-30-2005, 04:47:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Making engine shims.

I had to make some of the dreaded shims for one of my engines this weekend and started out like most people seem to do, cutting them out one at a time. After the first couple it dawned on me how to mass-produce them so I thought I’d share my method. Using a hacksaw, grinder & file, I made one thick master shim out of a piece of 3/32” Iron flat that I had on hand. Thicker would work also but It would be harder to make, thinner might not give enough support. My finished shim was 2” wide and 7/8” tall with a ˝” hole and the usual curves. I then cut a 2” X 12” strip from a 12” wide roll of aluminum flashing and then neatly Z folded it every 1” and lightly hammered each fold flat. Once Z folded I had a flat stack of 12 1”X 2” blank shims still connected together. Next I centered my master shim on top of the stack and tightly clamped it as close to the hole as possible onto a piece of wood and drilled the ˝” hole. I then unclamped the stack and put a ˝” bolt through the master shim and the Z folded stack and tightened it up. I put this assembly in the vise and used a hacksaw to rough-cut the big pieces of scrap off and finished up with a file, always making sure I was working towards the master shim for support. Since the stack was the same width as my master shim I only had to file the top and bottom. Once all the filing was done I removed the bolt and had 12 identical & individual shims. I was able to make two batches of 12 in about 5 minutes total. I stuck in some .001 brass with the second batch for some fine-tuning shims with no problem. Hope this is useful.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2005, 01:26:15 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Making engine shims.

Good idea Jamie, and well described too. I need to make some myself.
I was wondering if an angle grinder would work better to rough them out?
I think your folding was very good to keep them all aligned while you're working. Thanks for the idea. Kevin