Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fm 2hp Runs!!!!

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1072 times

Old 04-04-2005, 12:32:29 AM
Registered-III

Default Fm 2hp Runs!!!!

Started our FM 2HP today. It has not ran in 45+ years! My father found this engine in the middle to late fifties and never got around to rebuilding it. This was my winter project. I turned it over twice to choke, then one pull of the flywheels and off it went. I'm running coleman fuel with a little marvel mystery oil. I coated the new tank with gas tank sealer to help avoid internal rust. Andrew Mackey warns of coleman fuel being hydrosopic. The sereal number dates it to 1930. Has anyone ever seen a FM 2HP TG that has spoked flywheels like this one (posted pics). I've been warned that the flywheels may not be original. I have only seen 2HP dishpans, other than mine. However; the flywheels have ZA... with a large 2 cast into them. All the other parts also have the ZA casting letters.

Erik Grund
Bloomington, MN
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04312_resize.JPG   DSC04872_resize.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 09:59:05 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fm 2hp Runs!!!!

Erik,
I have the exact engine except my is a 1937 with the RV1 Magneto, it is a 2 hp with spoked flyheels and if you notice the crank case has a wider cut than earlier Fairbanks Z engines. I bought mine last fall at a automotive swap meet , it has a good amount of original paint but will need some work. You are lucky to have a nice original pot metal cam/gov bracket since they are prone to braking. I even have a Fairbanks flyer from about the early 1930's which pictures your engine with the R magneto.
when I get my engine together, I will post some pictures
Hope this info helps
~Jonathan
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39:27 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fm 2hp Runs!!!!

Great job Erik,

I think that so many of us enjoy starting these engines after they have been dead for so long because it makes us feel kind of like an engine god able to resurrect and give new life to something dead. Not to equally compaire what we do with engines and machinery with what God can do with our lives but kind of like little machinery gods with a small "g".

To hear these engines thumping away is somthing like hearing a heart beating
steadily after a major surgery.

Sometimes they cough and sputter and spit out sparks, but after a while they seem to heal up pretty well.

Considering that many of them were considered terminal 50 or 60 years ago it is a small miracle that they were spared the consuming fires of the scrap drives and laid burried someplace waiting their resurection.

Many years ago when I resurected my first engine a neighbor came over and wanted to know what was making all of the rackett and all of the smoke. I said "Ain't that music and ain't that perfume."

After explaining how long it had been since that engine had run and how the smell was from the residue of 50 year old gas and oil he started to get a glimmer of what I saw in that old hunk of iron. I exlpained how everything worked and how I was able to get it running and he left saying that it did make a certain kind of music and that it didn't smell that bad after all.

Restoring things is after all Re-creation to those of us that have Rusty Iron in our blood.

Get plenty of Recreation everyone.

Dick