Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

stuck valves 5hp fuller&johnson

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1789 times

Old 04-06-2005, 06:15:18 PM
Jim Scott

Question stuck valves 5hp fuller&johnson

need advice on how to unstick valves. i got the intake free but cannot seem to get the exhaust valve. before i break something, thought maybe i could get some advice from someone who has been through this. this engine has no breaks cracks or welds, i would like to keep it that way. thanks ahead of time jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2005, 08:47:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: stuck valves 5hp fuller&johnson

Jim,

I was waiting for someone with experience on your engine to weigh in on this one, but since no one has here is a suggestion.

I am assuming that you have already removed the head from the engine.

I am also supposing that you have tried the usual soaking with Liquid Wrench or equivelent and tapping on the side of the valve stem for 15 or 20 minutes with tap hammer and then gently tapping the end to see if it will move. If it moves tap it back in a little then out again untill it is loose then make sure the end if the valve stem isn't mushroomed. If it is file it down so that it will drive all of the way out.

If you have tried the above several times and still can't get it out you might try the Bar-B-Q method. This is where you start a charcoal briquette fire over a good grate that allows plenty of air to flow freely. Get the burning briquettes about 2 or 3 deep and place the head on top. Then put burning briquettes about 2 or 3 deep over the top. A little help with a hair blower will help get the head good and hot. Try to spread the heat evenly and not too fast over the head. When the head is good and hot just let the fire burn itself out and it will cover the head with ash and cool slowly. Let it cool completely and then remove it from the ashes and blow it clean and try the soak and tap method above again.

The steady heat of the charcoal shouldn't hurt the cast iron head at all. The valve stem may be softened by the annealing of the hot fire and the slow cooling but that won't hurt as you will probably use an other valve anyway.

Someone else may come up with a less drastic solution than this, if so good. If not my suggestions are always worth what you pay for them. Nothing!

Good luck. Dick

Last edited by Dick Welty; 04-07-2005 at 08:52:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29:49 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I've never tried the bar-b-cue, but have done localized heat with a torch which could be more severe I suppose.
One thing about valves is, rotating them seems to be easier than pushing them out. If you can grab it with a sharp new vise grip and gently apply pressure back and forth, it may start to turn a bit. Once it does, you can then push it out. Of course remove all burrs with a file.
You might also try heating the valve stem red hot and then wrapping a wet towell around it to quick quench it. (Careful of the steam!)
Otherwise, the most gentle method would be to do electrolysis. There is lots of archived information here on that subject.
Get in as much hurry as you want to, just DONT BREAK NUTHIN!
Kevin
Old 04-07-2005, 11:51:31 PM
Jim Scott

thanks guys i was hoping someone had an idea or two.i have tried the soaking and the tapping and have gotten no where.i dont have a torch yet so i will try the twisting method and then the charcoal idea. thanks again i will let you know how it comes out. jim
Old 04-08-2005, 06:56:52 AM
Registered-III

We have a pot belly stove that heats our garage, when I get an engine with stuck parts I usually fire it up and just toss the parts in it and let them bake awhile. When finished I either sock it down into a bucket of water or just let it cool. I have had a lot of success with this but it maybe wrong.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:55:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Jim even a propane torch will do. Heat the valve guide as it cools apply some penitraiting oil. Repeat a couple of times then try twisting the valve and it should come loose! BobRR
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01:12 PM
Registered-III

One thing that works for me is to heat with a torch and apply candle wax, the wax will wick in towards the heat and will loosen parts well.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:24:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,139 Posts

Jim,
All good replies so far. If they don't work try drilling a hole in center of valve stem. With a 5 hp engine stem should be large enough to drill a prety good size hole maybe an inch deep. Be sure stem is not mushroomed, if so cut it off close to valve guide before drilling. Then insert a punch into drilled hole. Don't have to worry about mushrooming again. Hole should allow stem to reduce a little in diameter. If off center a little, you should still be all right as long as you don't drill into guide.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:13:28 AM
Registered-II

I'd like to hear a little more about that candle wax technique. A little more about how, and why it works, and how to do it. I've never heard about this before, sounds interesting.

CHUCK
Old 04-09-2005, 11:37:48 PM
Jim Scott

Talking Re: stuck valves 5hp fuller&johnson

valve is free didnt break anything.used the charcoal idea thanks harry for this great site that brings all these great people together. thanks to all who shared there knowledge. jim