Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

1 1/2hp Vertical Ideal What to do?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1717 times

Old 04-08-2005, 09:52:00 PM
Registered-II

Question 1 1/2hp Vertical Ideal What to do?

I have a 1 1/2hp Vertical Ideal Type C. It has alot of parts missing. All I have is the block, cyl., crankshaft, flywheels, rod and piston. I can make the parts to put it back orignal. But I have been thinking of making it a side shaft engine. I will have to buy gears either way I go. What do you think I should do with it? Thanks Randy
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 10:24:40 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 1 1/2hp Vertical Ideal What to do?

Randy,

As long as you don't do anything that is irreversable I would go for It and make it a sideshaft.

If you have to modify anything to the point that it can't be put back I would think about it.

I am not familiar with how rare your engine is.

I have plans in my head to convert a 1 1/2 hp Fairbanks Morse to sideshaft but I have several parts engines to start with and these engines are not rare at all.

Let me know how big the crankshaft is as I might know where you can get the gears cheap.

Please let us know how you are doing if you decide to do the engine as a sideshaft.

Dick
Old 04-08-2005, 10:26:04 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I always like original Randy, but then how often do you get to have a sideshaft? If they made that model ORIGINALLY as a sideshaft, I think it would be a no brainer for me. Sideshaft!
I'm not familiar with the model, but how can you lose either way?
Kevin
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20:42 AM
Registered-II

Well it's going to become a sideshaft engine. I can make it into a sideshaft without doing anything that can't be put back. Dick The crankshaft is 1 1/8, if you can help me on some gears would be great. I have been looking at using (heilcoil ?) gears or maybe worm gears. I will take some pics. of it and post them as I work on it. Thanks Randy
Old 04-10-2005, 11:34:25 AM
Registered-III

Randy,

The easy cheap way to get these gears is to use something that is very available off of the shelf. I suggest that you use a VW intermediate gear 1961 and up.

This gear and the distributor gear furnish the 2 to 1 ratio that is needed for a side shaft. I got a set for free at a VW rebuilder. They were worn outside of specks for a rebuild but were still probably closer tolerances than anything on one of these old engines when the engine was brand new. New the brass intermediate is about $20.00 and I don't know about the distibutor gear.

The hole in the intermediate gear is slightly larger that 1 1/2" so you will have to find or turn down a bushing to fit it to your crank shaft.

The VW distributor gear is several inches long with slightly beveled gears at one end that mesh with the Intermediate at a right angle. This will allow your verticle sideshaft arangement.

You will have to connect the distributor stub gear to a suitable shaft being carefull that the allignment is near perfect as any missalignment will be magnified as the shaft turns.

When you build your bottom shaft support it will have to allign perfectly with the intermediate gear. An old friend once told me that if you can't build it precision, build it adjustable.

Once you have your side shaft running parallel to the cylinder then the fun starts. This is where you have to start inventing the monkey motion to operate the exhaust valve with a governor and the ignitor. I intend to make my cam using a tracing of a Stover CT cam gear as a profile as these have about the right specifications. The tracing can be reversed to allow for the correct rotation of the sideshaft if necessary.

I have made a set of tools to cast some brass flyballs for a governor but the ones that I am going to use might be too long for your engine as the water hopper seems to intrude on the space where the governor weights might have to spin.

I have made a very sucessful mixer for a 1 1/2 hp Foos engine out of a brass sprinkler valve. The gas tank would have to be within about 6 inches below the mixer to work well.

Attached are 2 pictures one of the intermediate gear and the other of the tooling for my flyballs.

If you want further help send some pictures of your engine as I only have the one in Wendels Yellow book.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
1961 and up Intermediate gear $19.56.jpg   MVC-406S.JPG  

Last edited by Dick Welty; 04-10-2005 at 12:00:39 PM.