Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Electrolysis idea

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1150 times

Old 04-12-2005, 12:57:02 PM
Registered-II

Default Electrolysis idea

I was over at my grandfathers house and I told him about how to clean parts with electricity. So we set it up on an old pipe cutter. I put the battery charger on and I didn't get any amps on the meter the parts weren’t even starting to bubble. So my grandfather grabbed a 12volt battery and hooked that up right in the circuit and we got about five amps on the gauge, and the parts finally started to bubble a little. We let it set over night and in the morning there was a pile of that heaping rusty goo on top. The part cleaned up really nice. Just wondering if any of you had tried using a battery when using the Electrolysis cleaning method?
Neill
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2005, 01:28:17 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 3,934 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Electrolysis idea

I have used a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery in the circuit with a charger before when doing large parts to help the charger out because the vat I was using would draw so many amps that it made the charger get pretty hot.

Tom Winland
Ohio
Old 04-12-2005, 05:40:34 PM
Subscriber

You may have encountered one of the "new" fangled chargers that won't charge without some feedback voltage. I was going to call them a dumb-ask charger but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I first saw one of these chargers when a pal ran his battery flat, bought a brand new charger to get going only to find that it wouldn't charge a stone cold dead battery. I had to go down there and get him charged up. Boy, was he steamed!! Now if that isn't dumb, please tell me why.

Forearmed with this knowledge, I was at a yard sale where there were three 24volt battery chargers for sale. I copped a deal and got all three for 15 bucks total. Glad I did, because two of them need a battery with a little voltage or they have zero output. The third one doesn't need this so it is the one I now use for my electrolysis operation. I certainly didn't want to put a 24volt battery together just for electrolysis. What a pain in the u no what.

You may have encountered this type of charger, too.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:05:50 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

I too found that my Dad's two wheel shop charger would put out a lot more with a battery in the circuit. I'm sure it's some sort of fancy circuitry to do some good, but I could see it cause problems like the Kid said. Kevin
Old 04-13-2005, 09:39:28 AM
Subscriber

Whenever I can't get the electrolysis setup to draw current, the first thing I check is the connection to the rusty part. Rust does not make a good electrical connection. It is often necessary to use a file or emery cloth to clean off the corrosion.

Regards,

Orrin