Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Lookout boiler

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3299 times

Old 04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Subscriber

Liked 277 Times in 141 Posts
Default Lookout boiler

Anyone have any catalogs on " Lookout" boilers made in Tennessee, 1940's vintage.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Registered-II

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Lookout boiler

Hi scott No I don't have a catologe on the lookout Boiler from Tennesse, but we have one. Paul
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered-III

Liked 419 Times in 158 Posts

I looked in my archives and I have nothing for Lookout Mfg. Co. however today I had to dig out my hydronic rating book to look up for another customer for a boiler replacement, in one book I have several pages, I am assuming you are asking about a vertical, if you are looking for a rating I need the OD diameter and number of tubes and if it has submerged or exposed tubes on the top tube sheet
Old 04-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Liked 277 Times in 141 Posts

Does it list a model 20-DF ? This is a flueless boiler about 4 feet tall. That model number is on the firebox door and there were two other large Lookout boilers at the auction I bought this one at . There was only one firebox door so I'm not sure if this is the correct model number or not.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered-III

Yes somewhat, sizes 1.5-25hp vertical tubeless series yours 36 inch diameter 29 inch grate diameter. went through two books that I have back to 1900 thats all I have. no DF series must be a casting number for the door they did make a D series but the picture shows a mechanically fired fire box boiler but no 20hp book only shows three styles of vertical tubeless, exposed and submerged, see if those mesurements are correct if not let me know what they are
Old 04-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Registered-II

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Hi: Glenn What do you have on a lookout boiler 25" OD X 5'5 tall Flueless, and the geate is about 23" dia. ??? The 5'5 tall is just the bolier size. ad about 10" more inch. for the grate box. I don't have a ash box. Thanks Paul W.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered-III

6 1/2 hp 20" by 19" Grate area
8hp 24" by 23" Grate area
10hp 24" by 23" Grate area
12hp 30" by 29" Grate area

Physical height information not given, not sure what the differences are between the 8 and 10hp but the rating is equal so the 8hp was either underrated or might have been physically smaller in height.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Registered-III

Well I just found an obscure notation refrencing Eclipse Lookout Co. Chattanooga, Tenn. followed this to a boiler shown as a vertical Type D boiler with steam trim, hp ranges 2-30 with max MBH rating output but no physical size or model given. so maybe we need to concentrate on looking for Eclipse literature. company must have been reoganized at some point or they were manufacturing a boiler for eclipse under their patent rights, these appear to be more modern style boilers, also shown is a type T and Z boiler both vertical but the main characteristic is they all have three hand hole plates on one side
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a look out boiler (1940 I think) - it's a vertical fire tube boiler, the grate is 19" in diameter and the boiler is 48" tall (from the grate to the top of the flues). I could not find any info on it anywhere, but looking at old catalogs (and other boilers) I figured it to be about 4hp. I use it with a 6hp engine and it produces a steady 2kW (I use it for battery charging sometimes). We mostly burn lodgepole pine.