Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Copper o-ring gaskets: sources

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1380 times

Old 04-14-2005, 05:24:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Copper o-ring gaskets: sources

Anyone know of a source of these gasket rings other than Starbolt? I am looking fo a 5" OD and he may/ may not have this size. Didnt they use these in aero engines. I tried searching for several days and could not find a source. BTW it is for a National Transit Lil' Hummer.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2005, 06:12:06 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Copper o-ring gaskets: sources

You probably want "O" dead soft copper sheet. You cut it like paper and it will flow under pressure, like Garlock. It comes in thicknesses as thin as 0.025" to 1/8" and scissors will cut it. You can stamp the stuff with a mallet or cut it with a sharp utility knife.

I get mine from Copper & Brass Sales (ThyssenKrupp) but you can get smaller amounts from McMaster Carr. It makes dandy head gaskets and is great for high pressure steam flanges. It also makes great gaskets for straight thread oil pan plugs.
Weatherhead also has semi-soft copper washers available too. I think they are #1591 or something like that. Memory is the third thing to go..................

If I am wrong, you get double your money back on my fee. Sometimes I read in things that are not there.