Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

INTL. LB oiler wick

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1553 times

Old 04-14-2005, 11:51:43 PM
Registered-II

Default INTL. LB oiler wick

On the Intl. LB engines the oiler tube that comes out of the block between the push rods, has a wick inside it. What kind of wick is it? It looks like two twisted up candle wicks. No suppliers on this site seem to have them, what can be used to replace them that will supply the oil to the trough?

Thanks.........CHUCK
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2005, 12:22:45 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: INTL. LB oiler wick

Chuck, I just used a piece of heavy felt on mine. I suppose that even one of those green scrubby things from the kitchen would work fine. I think foam rubber would even work but deteriorate quickly. In a pinch, a piece of rope untwisted and laid in there would probably work also. I guess it would depend on if you have a valve cover or not to cover it up, and how ugly you can stand! I would go with some felt. You might find some heavy felt in a gasket set, fabric store, craft shop, or buy a hat at Goodwill or Salvation Army and cut it up. Enjoy, Kevin
Old 04-15-2005, 07:52:23 AM
Unregistered

Chuck: cotton Mop String Works Very Well For This.
Jerry
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09:22 PM
Registered-III

Hello,
Kevin, I think Chuck is refering to the tube that carries oil out to the oiler trough. It also has a wick in it. This is one of the things I replace any time I work on these engines. I also check to make sure that it in fact has one. If and when you replace one of these, you should "oil" it before you reinstall it. After I install the wick, I always push the wick (cotton mop string) about 1/2" inside the tube. Then holding it with that end up I pour oil into it until oil runs out the dripper end.
Also make sure that the little trough in the crankcase that catches oil for this tube is also cleaned out.
Chuck, I'd get a old style cotton mop from the store and use a string or two from that. Be sure to test a little bit of the cotton string to make sure it would soak up oil. I had one one time that refused to oil. I finally decided that the string wasn't soaking the oil up and wicking it through the tube. I double checked a small peice of the string and it wouldn't soak up the oil. Don't ask how I know this. We'll just say I messed up a really nice new paint job figuring this all out.

See ya!
Richard
Old 04-16-2005, 09:31:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,379 Times in 454 Posts

A while back someone said to use a felt balckboadr eraser for the felt in the trough.

I did and it works great.

One eraser gives you enough for years of replacements, that is, if you remember where you out it.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:42:32 PM
Registered-III

Inside the tube is a 'wick' which basically keeps the oil from running out too fast through the metering needle and into the tough above the rockers. Cotton string from a mop is a good suggestion. I bought a pair of white cotton shoe laces, folded them in half and twisted them the same amount of turns as the old wick I pulled out. That worked perfect on mine. If I had it to do over, I would soak them in oil first otherwise you'll be running the engine for about three hours before the splashed oil inside the engine is absorbed enough by the wick to allow any to pass out into the trough. Ed at Hit n Miss has the felts for the trough all cut to size. He doesn't have any wicks, though. You'll have to get creative on your own.
Dave
Old 04-17-2005, 11:41:40 PM
Registered-III

Yea.

A number of years ago I bought a good chalk board eraser from a teacher supply and took my wifes stitch remover and cut the stiches to take it apart and that provided me with about 8 good felt pads for the rocker arm drip troughs. A lifetime supply. The cotton mop string works good for the wicks.

Dick