Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Newer toy

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1631 times

Old 04-17-2005, 11:26:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
Photo Newer toy

This is one of my newer toys, 6 H.P. Fairbanks, that I picked up recently off of the original well. It needs ALOT of work though. The head is cracked in 2 places, everything is stuck VERY tight, and it went through a fire, so all the babbit and part of the mag is melted out. This will be a project. Am I nuts or what??
Attached Thumbnails
000_0148.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2005, 12:39:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Red face Re: Newer toy

Before you do anything else, check the crank for true, and the flywheels for cracks! Anything that generates enough heat to melt babbit and zinc, has to heat the steel crank, and the cast iron to near red heat. The shear weight of the flywheels will distort the crank, and if the engine was hit with water, cracks galore in the iron! Check the wrist pin bushing as well, and the rings have probably lost temper as well.
Andrew
Old 04-17-2005, 02:53:04 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Newer toy

It looks like a good project to me. You don't have a quandry about original paint and so forth. Fairbanks flywheels are some of the easier ones to remove. Perhaps the head was cracked from something other than the fire.

If you have an oxy-acetylene torch, you're in business. This engine would be a great candidate for electrolysis in a big vat. I'm not sure if insert bearings are available for this but that would cost some $$ but save a lot of time and work.

Pop the head and look at the bore before making big plans. The need for a sleeve can alter the outlook. Ditto on major crackage. I can't really see the mag but if it is an "R", they can be had in working condition for around $100.

Provided there isn't some overwhelming damage, it could be a fun restoration. It is a common engine and parts are available. Watch out for the governor bracket. If it is cast iron, goodie for you. The pot-metal ones are not much good even when they are good. Ditto on the governor yoke. Some are pot metal. Electrolysis for the cast iron governor is a good start. The little cast parts can be easy to break, but I 'spect you already knew that!!
Are you crazy or what- can't say for sure.......
Old 04-17-2005, 03:03:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default Re: Newer toy

Well, I know that I will get it running. I have had tougher projects believe it or not. Bearings are available, so that is alot easier than making them. If it does need to be resleeved that is no big deal either, we can fix about anything, and if we cant we are fortunate enough to have good friends that can. Really besides the cracks in the head, it is'nt THAT bad.