Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks Morse Question

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1589 times

Old 04-19-2005, 11:10:48 AM
Registered-III

Question Fairbanks Morse Question

I am restoring a 1937 Fairbanks Morse 2 Hp Throttle governed engine, it is a late model engine , open crank, spoked flywheel on a steel base with the RV magneto, It was complete except for the oilier and gas tank. I had to buy a new cam/magneto/gov bracket since the original pot metal bracket was totally broken. Since most of the parts on this bracket were rusted so I decided to clean the parts up and paint them, I found the two beveled gears on the cam gear for timing, when I was cleaning the small gov gear and shaft I noticed that in between two of the teeth on this gear was the letter X stamped lightly , does this mean anything , is it used for aligning it with the cam gear ? I have never seen this on other Fairbanks Engines
Thanks in advance for any ideas or help
~Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2005, 05:47:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse Question

Jonathan,

The other gear might have the side of 2 teeth ground off on a bevel or punch markes on the side of 2 teeth. If so these go on either side of the tooth with the X.

Some times this timming isn't even close but most of the time it is good.

If it runs but jumps and kicks back set it back a tooth or two, if it runs slugishly set it forward a tooth or two.

Good luck, Dick
Old 04-20-2005, 10:05:20 AM
Registered-III

Dick,
my cam gear has to teeth filed down ,and this gear has an X between 2 teeth how should I set them
~Jonathan
Old 04-20-2005, 12:39:48 PM
Registered-III

Jonathan,

That makes it a little harder. Just try it in a couple of positions with those teeth meshing and see which one works best.

Just remember that there is no guarantee that both gears are original so they could be way off.

Dick
Old 04-20-2005, 08:30:50 PM
Registered-III

Johnathan, I rebuilt that exact same engine this past winter. Mine has a "R" mag and is a few years older. The small gear that spins the governer wieghts does not need to be timed. My gov. gear did not have the X but my 5 HP FM - B does. The filed teeth/timing marks are for the pinion and mag gears. Hope this helps. I do not have much faith in the R mags but mine started on the second pull of the flywheels. Let me know if you have more questions.

Good luck,
Erik Grund