Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Fairbanks morse picture(s)

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 3717 times

Old 04-23-2005, 12:11:53 AM
Sky

Default Fairbanks morse picture(s)

HI, Here's the pictures of the soon to be mine fairbanks Z model.
maybe this would be a good picture so maybee i could get a little bit more knowlage of what all shes got?
by the way, i apreciate it so much when you guy's help like ya'll do.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairbanks morse Z model.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2005, 08:35:09 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fairbanks morse picture(s)

Looks like the one that just sold on eBay. If I remember right, the governor and cam bracket are missing right? If so, good luck finding a replacement, their expensive but not impossible to find. If the bracket is missing, you can make it a hit and miss if you find the right bracket and carb. I believe that engine came with the throttler carb.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:07:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,177 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar King
HI, Here's the pictures of the soon to be mine fairbanks Z model.
maybe this would be a good picture so maybee i could get a little bit more knowlage of what all shes got?
by the way, i apreciate it so much when you guy's help like ya'll do.
Skylar:

My first flywheel engine was a dishpan just like yours. Mine was throttle governed and had a high-tension magneto. The price was right, too.

I was 9 years old (1950 or so) and I spent the day watching our neighbor try to get it to run. He finally got disgusted and said, "If you can get this #$$@@@&& engine to run, you can have it!". An hour later it was mine. (stuck intake valve)

That particular engine spent it's working life running a pump that moved crude oil from railroad tank cars to the refinery in Louisville, KY. When Standard Oil modernized the pumping station, they scrapped all the old pumps. My neighbor worked for Standard Oil and got them to deliver a truckload of the pumps to his back yard.

In hindsight, since I could have gotten the whole works for free, I shoulda talked my Dad into letting me drag them over to our place. As I recall, there were three or four complete outfits and a couple of engines. If I'd stored them 'til now, I would have a LOT of friends in Engineland.

As it was, I kept the dishpan 'til I was around 16 and traded it for the 1897 F-M Jack of All Trades I just finished restoring.

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 04-23-2005, 01:08:21 PM
Sky

ofcourse this isn't the best engine i could find and on the other hand i cant afford much cuz money's tight now so i just thought i'd bid on it cuz i thought it would be a good beginners engine and im satisfied for now.
they said it's missing a mag, no governor, no tank and the head is cracked.
but i just figured no big deal, after all, you can fix and bypas some stuff right?
could i still run it with a buzz coil?
by the way, Nice Jack of all trades Elden!

oh, and is my engine hit&miss or not? just wondering...
Old 04-23-2005, 04:03:22 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,016 Posts

Skylar, I'm not familiar with your model, but from reading the posts it seems that yours would be Throttle governed instead of hit and miss governed.
All the "M" internationals are that way, and they still sound good.

As far as getting it running, you will have to have a governor of some kind or it will self destruct on the event you get it started. Find a club nearby. Someone will have an engine you can look at and maybe they can help you make some parts or find some. Put an ad here on Harry's hunting for parts.
Kevin
Old 04-23-2005, 05:31:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Sky the dishpans came ether way.Fairbanks usually painted there t/g Z engines green and the buzz coil Z's red.Im not sure but I think all of the buzz coil dishpans are hit&miss?I dont know what would be the best way to go? If you have a t/g carb. might be cheaper to put it back a throttler? Talk to Ed at hit&miss as he should have most if not all parts + he could tell you what it take to set it up one way or the other.BobRR
Attached Thumbnails
2hp. Fairbanks.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 09:47:20 PM
Sky

Ok, i found mags and things on ebay so my question is, what type mag do i need for my engine? i have also found buzz coils.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:16:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 875 Posts

Your going to need a gov. now what do you want to do?T/g or hit&miss?BobRR
Old 04-24-2005, 01:14:41 AM
Sky

well, i think i'll stick with what it's got so like if it's a constant runner originally, then i'll stick with that but if it is a hit&miss originally, then i'll stick with that.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53:48 AM
Registered-III

Sky,

Based upon the pictures your posted you have a throttle governed engine, based on the date of your engine, I would go with a Fairbanks R magneto , these mags came with an engine of this vintage, later engines came with an RV or J magneto. I happen to have an all original & running 2hp throttle goverend Fairbanks, the mag has never been rebuilt and is still as hot as ever
I was even able to re-use the original tank. My best advice for you to locate the parts you need look on Ebay call up Hit and Miss Ent. for magneto service I would highly recommend Mark Magneto Service of Colchester Ct at 860 887-1094. he does my magneto service

Good luck , and remember this is a fun hobby but sometimes can be frustrating so stick with it and the result will be rewarding

~Jonathan
Old 04-27-2005, 01:24:19 AM
Sky

Hi guys, I wasnt sure so i had to ask if this is a spark plug engine or ignitor engine? aslo, if i am going to run it with a buzz coil, how am i to rig it up?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:03:57 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

It's a sparkplug engine. There's a 1/2" NPT hole in the head for the plug. Personally, I've not had good experience using a standard 1/2" plug like the Champion 25 in my engine. I've had much better luck using a long reach plug like the Champion 34, sometimes called "Gas Engine Special". Once you get a governor, you can probably rig up a set of points on the pushrod to act as a timer for the buzz coil. Keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:34:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,144 Posts

From lookin' at your photo, it looks like you only have a "piece" of an engine...Lots of parts missing, like the governor assembly, magneto, push rod, rocker, etc. If this is your first engine, I would recomend finding one that is complete!...You can spend a fortune buying enough parts to make this one come together and run....But if you insist, We'll all help as much as we can...Hope you have deep pockets!

David M.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:22:43 PM
Sky

it's perty much all there, exept ya, a governor and mag and tank and push rod. i just didnt post the picture with the box o parts in it.
i can make a tank and some how make the engine run with a buzz coil.....still aint figured out that part though.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 495 Posts

I might have a line on some parts if you care to send me email, you have my ability to contact you blocked.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:20:22 AM
Sky

HI, i just wanted to ask about how tall should i expect this to be when it comes, and how big would the flywheels be and such? i know this isn't going to be a huge engine but probably a decent enough size for me.
also, what works the push rods? is it the governor that does it?
little by little im finding stuff on ebay to put my engine back togeather with.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45:23 AM
Sky

Also i forgot to ask, did this engine have a fuel pump or did they operate by those pick up tube check valve things?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:16:51 AM
Registered-II

pick up tube
Old 04-29-2005, 01:12:25 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,589 Times in 845 Posts

The flywheels are 18 or 20" in diameter. I'm not sure what the shipping weight is for the engine, but it's in the 250-275 pound range I think. The pushrod is operated by a cam that rides in the mag/governor bracket. There is a small cast linkage pivoted off the bottom of this bracket that the governor actuates to move the fuel rod. (I hope that made some sort of sense) Keep asking questions, you'll soon have it ready to run.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:45:59 PM
Registered-III

Skylar,
Here is the page of two FM dishpans. There is more info on the “Hit and Miss” one, but there is a little on the throttled one also. I’m working on the throttler now. I’m missing some of the same parts on the governor as you are, but I have the type R mag ready to go. More info later.

One thing to watch for is the “cut” of the gear that is on the crank shaft. This gear drives the governor. There are two different “cuts”, “straight” (teeth cut straight across the gear and “slanted” (teeth cut at a slight diagonal). The slanted teeth were more than likely “hit and miss” and the straight teeth were more than likely throttlers.

http://www.boydhouse.com/hitandmiss/index.html

Darryl Boyd