Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Brownwall Engine Info wanted

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1420 times

Old 04-24-2005, 03:39:44 PM
RIRR

Photo Brownwall Engine Info wanted

I was wondering if anyone has any infomation on aircooled Brownwall Engine. I am looking for the year of build. Serial # 3534. What HP it is? Did they have a mag or where they battery and coil? And also what color it is supposed to be. Thanks alot
Attached Thumbnails
IM002142.JPG   IM002141.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 05:15:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default Re: Brownwall Engine Info wanted

You have an uncommon version of a fairly uncommon engine.

This is how I understand it from several sources(Wendel, GEM, Holland newspapers, internet sources, etc). Brownwall Engine & Pulley Co. started as an off-shoot of Parker Manufacturing Co. who made governor pulleys about 1911 in Lansing, Michigan. Homer D. Parker, Pres.; Edsil A. Brown, Vice Pres.; & Frank A. Wall, Sec-Treas. Brownwall is combination of the Brown & Wall names. These Lansing engines had raised letters with company name & 'Lansing, Mich.' on flywheels. In summer of 1914 they moved to Holland, Mich. These early engines built in Holland had raised letters & 'Holland, Mich.'.(Most collectors believe that Brownwall engine built in Holland, Mich. had no raised letters at all on flywheels. Your engine and a few others disprove this. In 1919 Brownwall Engine & Pulley Co. changed their name to Holland Engine Company & announced plans to build their own foundry. They had always been on edge of financial trouble & the war conditions & difficulties getting castings hurt them. In 1920 Holland Engine Co. was sold & re-purchased under the same name. In 1922 they started building a 4 hp vertical, radiator cooled using a lot of Model T Ford parts(rods, pistons, rings, valves, springs, etc.) making the newly built foundry redundant & it was sold. The company ceased to exist sometime in 1924. Not sure of exact date they stopped producing the Brownwall engine.
As to horsepower, I think your engine was rated at 1 3/4 hp, Lansing engines 1 1/2 hp. It is the air cooled version of the "A" engine. You should find an A prefix on casting numbers of most cast pieces. Most engines used battery & buzz coil. Kerosene engines were normally make & break(ignitor) with a Webster magneto. I have seen a couple of 3 hp gas engines with Websters ... not sure if original or retro fitted. The Lansing engines were made before the Webster was commonly available and I don't think they made kerosene engines there. I have never seen one with ignitor for use with battery & low tension coil. Have also never seen an air cooled kerosene engine.
They made A,B,C,D & E engines .. C& E engines only hopper cooled; A,B, & D either air or hopper cooled. Holland rated them as 1 3/4, 4, 3, 6 & 10 hp(C is 3 hp & B is 4 hp).
As to color I've seen several different that appeared original ... dark red similar to early Stovers, bluyish gray similar to ARCO, dark to medium green and gray. Brownwall & Holland sold engines to several re-taggers who may have painted "their" engines their own color.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27:43 PM
RIRR

Default Re: Brownwall Engine Info wanted

Wow thanks alot Doug that is great info. Alot more than I expected . Started stripping down parts today and found a color underneeth the color that it is now that is almost the same color to what it is now. As for the year of this engine does yourself or anybody else have have a serial # list. Thanks